95 YJ Very Loose Steering

laneiac

My 95 YJ has horrible steering. I have a 2.5 inch lift, one inch body lift and 33s with TJ flares. I have a steering stabilizer and box brace, but it the steering wheel has tons of play in it. Any possible suggestions/fixes???

Most likely in the steering box. They have some adjustment to take the play out, it's a set screw in the side or top of the steering box. Careful you don't overtighten it.

You may have to replace the steering box.

What happens if I over tighten it? Should I make small adjustments and then road test it adjusting each time?

If you over tighten it, the wheels won't go back to center after turning them, you have to return the steering to center yourself.... very annoying.

the set screw on the steering box is for the resistance in the steering... if you tighten it, it will not return as easily to center, and is tougher to turn

Plastic gas tank

So... I should just replace the steering box, tie rod ends and steering shaft. And the whole vehicle....

sounds like you need ONE TICKET TO MAN TOWN.

ALL ABOARD!!

honestly my steering is really loose but ya get used to it. its kinda like driving a boat....

See, the thing is I have gotten used to it, but the fiance hasnt. And since we are starting to commute to school cause we moved she is going to be driving it alot more than hers. So I just want it to be safer and more comfortable for her to drive. But I do suppose I could use a trip to man town, all the noises have been getting to me lately. I used to be one of those people who thought the more noises the Jeep made the cooler it was, but recently thats been changing....

Back