I MADE A DISCOVERY!

Sully

I was unloading my football gear from the school van and I went to pick it up off the ground and while I was down there I saw the axle. I went back down at looked at it more closely and it was a dana 44! It's a Ford 96 - 99 passenger van if any of you need a 44 there should be one under there.

D44 sounds kinda small for a Ford Passenger Van rear, are you sure it wasn't a D60? Being a pass. van it's likely a 3/4T chassis at least.

Either way the WMS to WMS is likely too wide for a swap when used with a stock front axle.

Nah.....it can't be a D44? I think alot of the big vans used a turd called the D61. It's supposed to be like a 60 but parts don't interchange and there are no off the shelf aftermarket parts. It only came with two available ratios from the factory. Or some crap like that :roll:

I know it was a dana. I will take a pic one of these days and read the tag.

Sully, what are you holding in that pic? A sword? I like your neighbors upstairs balcony or whatever it is, looks rather fun...

actually all ford vans, models e250 and e350 from 1969 and up have a dana 44 rear end. i was in advance looking through the axle book one day and found that out. my dads company has a beat up p;d e250 and im just waiting for the sucker to die

I don't know about the D61 being a turd. Have you ever seen the shafts inside one? They are semifloat, but the diameter is bigger than a 14 bolt shaft. I think you can get a spacer and use the same gears as a 60. I don't know about lockers. You would probably have to weld it up.

I looked at it again today. And I dont think its a 44. I think its a 60. The tubes on this thing are big. Bigger than any 44 tubes Ive ever seen. Oh yea its got a 4.11 gear tag on it.

dont mean to hijack the thread but is there anyway to put d44 shafts into a d35

Sully, with a 4 series gear, that is a D60. The D61 only came with 3 series I believe, and the lowest ratio was 3.5x:1 or around there.

Corrupt, I doubt Ford would have considered the 1/2 ton D44 axle for use in the rear of their 3/4 and 1 ton vans. Especially when a diesel engine was an option in either. I've been told by people that D44s can be found under Ford 2wd 1/2 ton pickups before, but I've never seen one and it seems a little far fetched that they would have stepped down from the 9" to use a D44 in even the light duty stuff. On the other hand......we ARE talking about Ford here......so anythings possible.
The Superior Super 35 kit goes beyond D44 shaft and carrier strength. It is a very pricey kit, but it is nice quality and it includes the locker. If you are going to keep that D35 with your setup, you might as well start saving for that kit and designing a really good truss.

Rooster your right, It's not a turd I guess. It is a pretty stout axle. The added expenses and trouble with using the gear spacers, and the lack of traction aiding devices keeps it from being a first choice for most people but it could be built into a pretty decent axle.

Back