83 CJ7 Straight 6... Do they have a computer?

jeepwanabe

Hi all,

Does a 83 CJ7 Straight 6 have a computer? If so what is the part called? I have a shop telling me the computer needs to be replaced but when I look in the Haynes manual I can't find a computer chip.

Tia,

[addsig]

yes, its right behind your glove box on top of the heater box. I believe AMC called it an MCU, and I don't think it has any "plug in" chips if I recall correctly, its all soldered on. I'd be impressed if you could still buy one, and it'll probably cost an arm and a leg, and it really doesn't do much back then. You're better off with out it. This may help, if you can ditch it.

It controls your idle mixture, can add, and take away, a few degrees of timing, and it controls your AIR or PULSEAIR system(probably PULSEAIR for '83), and I think thats it except for doubling(literally) the amount of wiring under the hood.

hopefully you aren't stuck replacing it, HTH

-keith[addsig]

Well, here's the story on that. Check this out. The shop told me that it was the computer that was bad and that the charge to fix it would be 350.00 estimate. 200.00 for the MCU and 150.00 for labor. So I told them no, just put it back out on the road where I dropped it (had to have it towed there after closing) and when I got the cash I could have it fixed. So that day, after work I go to the jeep, pull out the MCU (took all of 2 minutes tops, just two plugs into this thing) and went down to a local parts shop for a replacement. They told me they could get it for 100.00 and I said ok. The next day I got the part and plugged it in (this time took me less than 30 seconds cuz i knew where it was and the jeep started right up. So the good thing was the shop diagnostic was correct but the bad thing was they were going to rape me for the replacement. I mean, I can understand a slight markup for the MCU but even then the shop should be able to get it wholesale and then just a small fee for labor. Now I understand they have to put out for time to diagnose the problem and I'm willing to pay for that but 350.00 is a hell of a markup. It makes me very wary when I go to get my car/jeep serviced.

I need to replace this one for now until I can understand more about jeeps to do the modifications. I'm still a newbee on this stuff. One thing I would like is a more detailed manual for repairing this jeep. Can anyone recommend some more detailed books than the Haynes manual I have? I had heard that the Jeep Shop Repair manual was good. Is it better than Haynes?

Thanks in advance.

[addsig]

I'm glad you got it working, I'm surprised it wouldn't run without it. when I started tearing into my jeep, I found the ic's in my MCU were all exploded on the inside of the box. I wasn't even having problems, I was just trying to restore all the hacked up parts from the previous owner and much of my stuff was unsalvagable. Just trying to buy emmissions stuff like that is usualy a PITA, at least around here.

Just think of all the poor suckers that aren't smart enough to figure it out on their own, You definitely saved some bucks there.

This is a great online guide. I don't know what the best book is for jeep, I have a haynes. I'd try the regular factory manual, like you are thinking. I know I have a factory GM manual and it is unbelievable how usefull that is. You almost don't even have to know what you are fixing, just follow the directions.

-keith[addsig]

The jeep shop manual is definatly much better that the "haynes or chilton" brands

little more $$ too. It has sections called "DAR's" Daignosis and repair. The dars list symptoms and causes, block diagrams for troubleshooting. The dar's cover mechanical and electrical problems.

Also, the manual describes in detail how different components of the motor, drivetrain, and electrical, work. Basically everything on the vehicle. Tools needed for this or that (usually special inhouse tools though)

[addsig]

Back