Clutch pedal questions

mud4feet

So, we're headin' home from Strain's music store, I shift into 3rd and all of a sudden I feel the clutch pedal tappin' at my ankle. I go to shift into 4th and, "WHOA!!!", no clutch!! I tell Mrs. Mud "we have no clutch", she panics, and we "3rd gear-it" to the closest pull off (got to practice my "no clutch" downshifting!!). I left 'er runnin' and looked up under the dash. There was my clutch pedal dangling in the breeze along with my "clutch position sensor switch" (or the CPSS as the service manual calls it - gotta love those acronyms!!). I looked on the floorboard and found a plastic washer-looking thing and a rubber washer. I reassembled as best I could reckon, stuffed the rod back in the master cylinder, and we went on home. About a half an hour later, I had to leave to get some firewood. Lo and behold, Lucille would not start. I crawled under the dash, disassembled the pedal stuff, and tried a couple different combinations with the washers until finally she started. My question(s):

1) Is there something up under there that's supposed to keep the pedal from "over-unclutching" - comin' back to far and thus pulling the rod out of the master cylinder?

2) Have I incurred any damage to my master cylinder (no detectable leaks)?

3) Will I stick to automatics from now on? (NOT!!!!)

I was thinking of fastening some wire, string, or a spring to the pedal assembly to keep this from happening again :idea: . Everything seems to be working alright.

Wadda ya' think??

mud

I've read where jeepers had to replace the clutch master cylinder when the clutchrod would no longer stay in place. Isn't it still under warranty?

Nope. It is by time, but I've driven to far - 46K. Is there something in the master cylinder that's supposed to "grip" the rod to keep it in place?

OK, never got my "string" idea" installed. Mudwoman had the Jeep today and she called me at 4:45 (picks me up at 5) and said the Jeep wouldn't start. I'd been feeling something funny in the clutch when starting (switch?) for a few days and the whole thing fell out again yesterday, so I figured I reassembled it wrong (which I did). Had to mash the clutch to the floor a couple of times and then it would start. Reassembled tonight and things seem to be fine. I ask again, is there something that's supposed to hold this assembly together? Some snap ring or rubber o ring or something in the master cylinder?

My ball of string awaits a sage, Jeepz answer.

I don't know about the rod itself, but on the old Toyota (yeah, I know, different brand, different country of origin) there was a tension spring on the pedal as well as an adjustable (screw) stop under the dash to keep the pedal from coming back up too far. If I had a TJ, I'd take a look-see, but I don't and I'm not a mechanic by far. Sorry, that isn't much help, is it? I'm guessing it won't start because of the safety system that prevents it from being started without the clutch pushed in, right? Or do TJ's have that? YJ's don't. Anyway, there should be a switch you can override to get around that, at least till you get the main part of the problem taken care of. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, bud.

Sparky-Watts said:
I don't know about the rod itself, but on the old Toyota (yeah, I know, different brand, different country of origin) there was a tension spring on the pedal as well as an adjustable (screw) stop under the dash to keep the pedal from coming back up too far. If I had a TJ, I'd take a look-see, but I don't and I'm not a mechanic by far. Sorry, that isn't much help, is it? I'm guessing it won't start because of the safety system that prevents it from being started without the clutch pushed in, right? Or do TJ's have that? YJ's don't. Anyway, there should be a switch you can override to get around that, at least till you get the main part of the problem taken care of. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, bud.

Hey, Sparky, greatly appreciate the reply. I first posted this thing in October (I think), has had over 100 views, so somebody else is interested. I was beginning to think that I'd pissed somebody off, the way things have been going around here. Anyway, yes, the TJ has that safety system - that was the problem today. I found on another forum (God forbid!!! - no one would answer me here) that you can install a fuse and bypass the safety system....should sovle my starting problems and I guess my "string system" will solve the "pedal over-retraction" problem. When it originally all came apart, there were no springs, no stops under the dash..........nothing!!! Found all the pieces (little washer like things) that go with the rod and nothing else. I guess it's time for a little "country" engineering. Thanx for the reply, and please no YJ platitudes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

feeling abandoned (except for you, Bounty and Sparky),
mud

Back