Just scored a rear 14 bolt (man I am on a roll)

bryanjeep

Just found a killer deal on a rebuilt 14 bolt. $400 It comes with a brand new disc brake conversion, perches and shock mounts removed, sandblasted, and painted. He is even throwing in some stock 31" tires and rims to use to roll it around.

My question is, is there a way that I can temporarily mount this axle to sit under my jeep without welding new perches on right now (I have no driveline to point the pinions at)?

My parents are already having a fit that I have a Dana 44 front axle and 350 sitting in my garage. I don't think they are going to want another axle in the garage. I am going to need to temporarily mount up that dana 44 also because I told them it would be out of the garage soon. Any way to do this too?

How much wider is a 14bolt rear than that Wagoneer D44 front? You gonna narrow it?

the u-bolts will hold those axles under the jeep. Just cut off the old perch and slide the new one to where you want it, point the pinion, bolt her together and wait for a buddy to weld her up. :lol:

the front may be more tricky as you have to deal with that built in cast perch tho..

oh yeah...dont drive it untill its welded..hehehe..thought i should throw that out there for liability issues.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not going anywhere with no motor or transmission. Might be kinda diffucult. :) :) I need to get some perches soon just to be able to put the axles under the jeep.

Oh. I didn't know the later ones were wider than the pre-1980 measurement of 58.4". Before then only the Chiefs,Honchos, and two door "S" models had the SJ widetracks.

Are you switching the 6 lug D44 to match the 8 lug 14 bolt?

also, find the pinion angle and go from there, you don't want to just point the pinion at the T-case, you'll cause premature wear on the ring and pinion. you'll want to keep it with in 10 degree's of the factory spec. If you just "point it" and the angle is too drastic, the gears will not get the proper lubrication and sieze!

Ya'll do know I am just doing this to store the axles. I am not stupid enough to drive around with them not welded on. I am going to just point the pinions horizontal and tighten the u bolts (speaking of I need to buy some).

No, I am not going to match the bolt patters up, I am just going to buy 2 rims with an 8 x 6.5 pattern and 2 with the 6 x 5.5 pattern.

Anyone know where I can get a 8 x 6.5 15x10 rim other than an AR 767 black rim?

when i did my soa i tacked my rear axle perches where i thot they would go and bolted it up while i was waiting on my shaft, then i put my shaft in, broek the tacks and welded it permanent. its not a big deal as long as you dont have a shaft going to it

currupt4130 said:
when i did my soa i tacked my rear axle perches where i thot they would go and bolted it up while i was waiting on my shaft, then i put my shaft in, broek the tacks and welded it permanent. its not a big deal as long as you dont have a shaft going to it

I did the same thing. U bolts should suffice in your case though.

Before you bother putting it in, spend some time on that bottom lip with a grinder. You won't regret it. May as well throw a locker in there too.
Otherwise, the u-bolts will hold it just fine for rolling the Jeep around.

Ok thanks, but I just simply do not have the money for a locker right now. I will probally grind it down later too. It isn't a priority right now.

Back