shackles question (spring over)

bryanjeep

I know I know, I always preach about extended shackles being bad. My question is: Since I am setting new perches on my new axles, I am having to readjusted pinions angles. If I go ahead and put on my old extended shackles (1.5-1.75" lift), will I be fine?

I understand why it causes Jeeps to wander and screw with the steering if you are using stock perches, but like I said, I am welding new ones on because of the SOA. Anyone know if anything will be affected. I just figured I might as well put them to use and get me a little higher.

SOA update: It is gonna be freaking huge. I got it up on jack stands today.

RE: extended cranking time

I wouldn't go over an inch shackle lift, especially with an SOA. I just used my stock shackles with my soa... I would think you would get more play the higher the shackle. I was actually going to put on a small shackle lift when I put the 3" lift springs on. Bottom line: if it's not a daily driver, go for it! But what do I know. Did I confuse ya yet? :D

check out this post
http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=325061

Don't waste your time, click something else.

If you weld the perches accordingly, the caster will be right even with the shackles. I'm not so sure that the added caster is the only reason that big shackles cause steering problems though. They change the movement of the leaf springs too. I'm not sure if that is a factor or how much.

Mayhaps this would be a good time to consider a shackle reversal. Then you could put those big shackles on and you would also have a steady front end without the need for a trackbar. Just a thought.

a little more please

You dont need the extended shackles anyway. It will be big enough. And if you want more lift, go with a shackle reversal so you can go without a track bar in the front.

Re: RE: 85 cj7 4wheel question

You are correct in your theory of being able to counteract the cons of lift shackles by being able to set your pinion angle and caster.

But that is a lot of lift from shackles, and some huge shackles like that will greatly reduce your approach and departure angles.

Consider an imaginary line drawn between the front and rear spring eyes of one spring, and think about the natural up and down movement of the spring. If that plane between the two spring eyes isn't close to parallel you're transferring a lot of shock through the frame and not using the springs to their full potential. Same theory as coil spring jeeps with a lot of lift with short arms, and the control arm being closer to vertical.

Re: RE: My Cherokee

Everyone here knows, Jeepers always want to go bigger. haha
It isn't going to be a daily driver so I am not too worried about street handling. I don't even think i will be legal anymore (trailer King).

beleive me,,dont use the extended shackles with a SOA and Lift springs..i have already tired it...aside from the fact that it wears your springs prematurly and causes even steeper steering (drag-link) angles and also cause the spring to hang lower it just lloks bad on a huge jeep :lol: i took mine out cause of all of the things mentioned above and also cause my jeep was sitting too high...even with 39.5's on her :lol:

Re: asking for a little Jeepz support

West, how much lift do you have? Body lift too?

Brake lights stay on?

3.5 in the springs, 3 inch in the body + 5.5 for the SOA...so roughly 12 inchs of lift total.. :lol: dang..lol

RE: welding spider gears

You can do it, and if you set the pads with the shackles in place it will fix the wander that it normal with shackle that long. Like others have pointed out though, it will have negative effects on the life of you're springs. It looks kind of funny too.
Alot of guys around here use 2.5x2.5 square tubing to make their fullsize axle conversions. They run the tubing from side to side and weld the shackle mounts to the bottom. This gives 1.25" of "shackle lift", but you can run factory shackles. I've used homemade shackle mounts in the past for the same reason. Basically you space the shackle mount away from the frame to gain some lift. Combining that with some lowered spring hangers is pretty trick.

Steering column reassembly

I do have add a leafs. i am sure that will help the spring out. I am a little confused of what you were saying the guys around you do. I don't really have fabrication skills, so doing stuff like this seems out of my range :(

Junkpile is taking about welding a chunk of square tubing to the frame in order to lower the piviting point of the shackle...I take it they also do this to outboard the springs to fit the full width axles as well?

i like the idea and am thinking about doing that and ditich my lift springs for some flatter/more leaf's homebrew spring packs.

i wish more jeepers around my neck of the woods were doing axle swaps and other things that require welding/fabing skills because any oppertunity i can get to weld or make something i jump on it.. :lol: :lol:

on a side note...what are the best springs and/or best way to build a pack for SOA? What are the fellows in your neck of the woods running junkpile?

I can't get over the problem I am having with the Dana 44 front. Just trying to figure out how I can mount the driver side perch gives me a headache. I even thought of doing the bluetorchfab.com thing. Too expensive though.

The hot ticket a while back was the Rancho 1" spring lift with a SOA. A lift spring is almost always used with a SOA for mud running. The 2.5" Skyjacker along with the SOA works great, but I guess any 2.5" would be about the same with those big tires and SOA. You need an increse in spring rate to control the heavy tires and offset the extra leverage caused by the SOA. You've got to think about full throttle blasts through feet deep, gooey, sticky mud with bumps and logs strewn about it. It plays hell on springs. If you desire a height where you can't use a lift spring with you're SOA, it's better to just run SUA with a big spring lift and a body lift. It may seem "backwoods" or "rigged" to some people, but with a SUA, BL ,lowered perches, and some TJ flares I can squeeze 39s under a CJ and not have to deal with the springwrap issues.

I'm thinking of doing a 1ton conversion on the CJ. I've already done the conversion to fit the Scout II axles, all I'd have to do is bolt the front in and weld new perches on the back. I just don't want to go there again....too much money.....too much down time. The problem is, I have the TJ now and I might as well go crazy with the CJ :roll:

RE: It

I think my jeep feels too tall because of the 3 inch body lift. i like the fact that a SOA tucks everything higher up but hate the wrap issue. dispite the wrap i still preferr the SOA to SUA tho...i am going to add an extra leaf or two to each of my 3.5 inch super lift springs over the winter and build a wrap bar..( crappy springs i know, they have lost quite a bit of there arch over the two years i have had them. i have also bent the two front springs. one year SUA and one year SOA.)

1990 Performance question

bryan, while a appreciate a guy who stands behind his beliefs and decisions.......isn't your sig pic a picture of you standing in front of your SUA lifted Jeep? It's not the ONLY way, but I understand what you were saying. :wink:

Back