Oil pressure sending unit (I think)

Green97TJ

What your birthdate tells about you.

97 TJ, 2.5L automatic, ~94k miles

Ok, so Im on my way home from school, going through town when my Check Gauges light comes on. I look and my oil pressure is at 0. I pull off the road, shut off the jeep. Only thing I could really think to do is check the oil, so I did, and its good. So I sit there a few minutes, then decide to start it again. Oil pressure goes up to about normal and the Check Gauges light is off.
So I decide to head on home. As I go through town I notice that if I come to a stop and let the RPMs drop, the oil pressure drops a lot lower then it should and I can smell burning oil. I get out on the highway where I keep the rpms up and all is good. So when I get home I pop the hood and start looking around. With the engine idling I can see oil smoke coming up. So I follow the smoke to what I *think* is the oil pressure sending unit. Small elbow coming out of the engine block leading to a small cylinder shaped thing with a wiring harness attaching to the top of it. The thing is covered in oil along with part of the block there. So Im getting ready to pull it in the garage and look it over closer.

So on to the point. Somebody tell me what to do, what to look for, and how bad is this going to hurt the ol' wallet?

Thanks a lot!

Nathan

RE: Re: What your birthdate tells about you.

That happened to one of our YJ's. Real simple fix, did exactly what your describing. Also make sure all of your crankcase lines arent full of oil and gunk.

Yeah sounds like the oil sender to me to. Make sure that everything is tight when you put it back together. I don't remember for sure but i think it was only 15-20 canadian$$'s so it shouldn't hurt that bad. Good luck

RE: Re: RE: For the electrical experts...Christmas Lights

Yea it was the sending unit. It had somehow sprung a leak and so my pressure reading was low and it was putting oil onto the side of the engine where it was burning. Simple fix once I found a store that had the right part.

Nathan

Back