Will tires fit on wheels?

plbst16

I recently bought a 2002 Wrangler. It came with the stock P225 75R15 tires. I hear rumors that I can go up to 31x10.5 tires on the same rims. Can anyone confirm this? I understand a 1 or 2 inch lift is also strongly recommended for 31 inchers. Specifically I'm looking at the BF Goodrich All Terain T/A KO 31x10.5R15 tires, so if anyone has these let me know how they're doing. Thanks!

I have 31x10.5x15 on my factory wheels with no lift. Although mine came with optional 8 inch wide wheels so I don't know if that would make a difference. I pretty sure you could fit 31s on 15x7 factory wheels.

And, welcome to Jeepz! :D

RE: CHAT is ON!

Absolutely you can fit 31x10.5's on stock 15x7 wheels without a lift! I've got Mud Kings on mine, and only get a slight rub at full (stock) flex, which ain't much. I just got my Cragar 397's Friday, and should have them mounted this week, as soon as Quadratech sends the center caps!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

Here's a pic, as you can see, there's still plenty of clearance, Clarence!

After-2.jpg

I've got a set of 12.5" wide tires on 7" rims, and a set of 11.5" tires on 7" rims. They'll fit just fine. You may have slight control arm rubbage with the steering wheel at full-lock, but it won't be too bad.

RE: TJ, YJ ? What

I'm running 32" BFG All Terain T/A KO's on 15x8's and have yet to get stuck due to the tires. They are alot better on the road than mud tires and, offroad, well, i just would recommend avoiding mud pits.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Help!! I think she might blow!!!!

Yes they'll fit. Yes if you want to disconnect the swaybar and hit the trails a 2" budget lift would be a good idea (This is a good one and EZ to install yourself: http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=134 ). The BFG AT's are excellent tires, the only drawback would be the all-terrain pattern would not perform as well in deep mud, but that is the price you pay for an outstanding steet tire with pretty good off-road characteristics. If you get an outstanding mud tire you would comprimise the performance on the street in bad weather conditions. I had a set of 32" BFG AT's and loved them, but had to get pulled out of a few mudholes.

i too have 31's with no lift on my yj. i do get a little rub when i have to make a sharp turn. another option to lifting it for offroading is to remove your fender flares. those things hang down and inch or two (besides jeeps look meaner without 'em)

(regarding the "no lift" part: my 4 inch sus. lift arrived today so my jeep will soon look like a roller skate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had 31x12.50's on 15x7" wheels. I also had some 31x10.50's on my stock 15x7" wheels and they would rub at full turn, but you get used to it and learn how far you can turn.

When I had those tires, all I had was a 3" body lift, and they would hit my fenders. But, I had no sway bar and both trac bars were taken off. After I took the flares off (actually the tires took off 2, so I took off the other 2) It would still hit the fenders real good, but not as bad as when the flares were on.

But, with your trac bars and sway bar on, you should be alright with little or no lift.

What are these wheels off of?

plbst16 said:
I recently bought a 2002 Wrangler. It came with the stock P225 75R15 tires. I hear rumors that I can go up to 31x10.5 tires on the same rims. Can anyone confirm this? I understand a 1 or 2 inch lift is also strongly recommended for 31 inchers. Specifically I'm looking at the BF Goodrich All Terain T/A KO 31x10.5R15 tires, so if anyone has these let me know how they're doing. Thanks!

The previous owner of my g/f's '00 TJ put on 215 75 15 tires on :? .

since then I lifted the suspension 2 1/2 inches and added 31x10.50x15 Goodyears on the stock rims.

The rear tires were a little to close to the upper spring mount plates for me and the front would hit the suspension when I turned sharply so I added 1.25 in spacers all around,problem fixed.

I also added a rear track bar brackect that centered my rear axle again.
When lifted the stock location of the bar tends to move the axle over to the passenger side.

Also when I lifted it I got a drive line vibration so I lowered the transfer case mount 1/2 inch and the vibration went away.

Do you have a skid plate story?

Regarding the 15x7 vs 15x8 fit.
BFGoodrich has technical specs and recommended rim widths on their website. They'll fit on the 15x7.
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

Consider the pros/cons though. Moving up from the factory 28's (28.3) to those 31's (30.7) tires will give you and extra inch of ground clearance, but it's going to affect your "effective" gearing a bit and change the speedometer by about 10%. If your factory rear end ratio is a 3.73 you'll probably be okay, but with those stock tires it likely came with a 3.07. But hey....I hear after a few years all Jeep owners drive by RPM's anyway. :)

the rule of thumb for tire width versus rim width is that the tire shouldnt be more than 4 inches wider than the rim. lots of people break the rule slightly with no problems and ive even heard of people running 15 inch wide tires on 8 inch wide rims but yes, 31x10.50s will fit no problem on a 7 inch wide rim

Forget what it says on the sidewall, that is just the section width--measured at the middle of the sidewall on a certain size rim. You want to keep your rim width within 1" of the tread width for optimum tire wear and handling. You can get away with a norrower wheel than that, but you will wear the middle of the tire unless you underinflate it.....and then you get into handling woes and bead seating problems. Alot of those terrible handling Jeeps you hear about are because of a mismatched rim and tire combo.

Re: RE: Re: tools for lifting

Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:
Yes they'll fit. Yes if you want to disconnect the swaybar and hit the trails a 2" budget lift would be a good idea (This is a good one and EZ to install yourself: http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=134 ).

Ahh, but that's for a TJ....our friend here has the superior YJ model. :twisted:

He said he had a 2002 Wrangler at the top of this thread. It's a TJ :wink:

RE: Step into the Wayback Machine with me.....

i saw the name of the thread "will tires fit on wheels" and i was gonna answer.. "that's what they are supposed to fit on"

Re: Step into the Wayback Machine with me.....

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
TwistedCopper said:
Yes they'll fit. Yes if you want to disconnect the swaybar and hit the trails a 2" budget lift would be a good idea (This is a good one and EZ to install yourself: http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=134 ).

Ahh, but that's for a TJ....our friend here has the superior YJ model. :twisted:

He said he had a 2002 Wrangler at the top of this thread. It's a TJ :wink:

Well, I know at one point there was a reference to a YJ in his post or in his sigline....I double checked before posting that!! Something is screwy with the board still.......

Back