Steering box, comment & question.

Joopin

Super Moderator
Well for those of you that have big meats on your jeep, you may have discovered what I have recently...

Over sized tires kill your stock steering box!!!

I have 36x14.50s on my 91 YJ and over the past year that I have had them on I have noticed that my steering box has been leaking more and more each day. It is to the point that the steering is getting sloppy on any kind of road use. I researched it, and sure enough, the big tires were the reason.

So let me be the test dummy here, and say, "Anyone that is or has put OS tires on thier rig with a stock steering box be prepared to replace it!"

There is good news though, I have found that the upgrade is cheaper than the stock replacement!! The stocker went for 500 bucks and the AGR Superbox 1 is $350! I just got mine in the mail today, it has oversized pistons for more power and it allows the wheels to turn a tighter radius. I bought mine from Quadratec.

Anyway, onto the question... has anyone replaced a steering box? The instructions that came with the new part don't seem that difficult. But do I need to bleed the system or anything? If anyone has any insight on this for the local test dummy I will very much appriciated it.

Sorry for the length,
Joop

RE: mo pics

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the way you bleed a power steering system is to fill the resevior, then work the steering wheel back and forth and keep checking to be sure the resevior is still full. It will eventually work all the air to the top and out on its own. Could be more to it though when replacing the whole box. Thats how I did it when I replaced teh pump though. It was a little slow, but it worked.

HTH

Nathan

RE: Hard Door ?

Yeah I have done steering pumps before, and that is the way I was taught to bleed them too. Maybe its the same for the box. A guy around here said he would put it in for aroud 160 bucks. Still debating...

Here we go - pregnant again!

I hope not......I've had to replace a few and I've never done anything special except the procedure you guys are talking about with sawing the wheel back and forth. I always use junkyard boxes though, it may be different for a new one.

RE: Ice Storm 2005....HELP!!!!!!!

I've been running 33"s with no problem, but your tires are A LOT heavier.

You could have went with a Wagoneer steering box and saved a bundle.

RE: Re: RE: Here we go - pregnant again!

Bounty__Hunter said:
I've been running 33"s with no problem, but your tires are A LOT heavier.

You could have went with a Wagoneer steering box and saved a bundle.

Sure, NOW you tell me...

RE: Ice Storm 2005....HELP!!!!!!!

Not too sure about a YJ but you can get a saganaw steering box from a big chevy, as well as some fords and dodges. These are great swaps/up-grades to the steering boxes in cj's. again not too sure about YJ's though. Perhaps a little more research is in order! (oh ya, you can get a re-manufactured one for about $70

Already bought it john, and I have heard nothing but good things about this company. I'll let you know how it performs.

Back