Decided to lift...now what ?

PASmokeater

I decided to do a suspension lift......now I don't know how high, what size/kind tires to get, or what size/kind wheels. I would like to be able to take on a slightly modified trail(woods, mud, puddles,and rocks) like a blue trail at Paragon. I need to drive my Jeep everyday and will get two sets of wheels and tires. Any lift suggestions ?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'd go with the Skyjacker single flex 4 inch lift, with some 33x12.5 SuperSwamper Boggers (being a redneck from Tennessee makes me a little partial to the Boggers but the S.S. TSLs will work fine too, just won't get the nice 30 foot high rooster tail going when the muds starts flying), and 33x12.5 inch BFG All Terrians on the street, run 15 inch Rock Crawler rims for both. [addsig]

33"s would be good, you'll need atleast a 3.5" lift to get there...

details depend on how much you wanna spend
image-missing.png

Tricky part is you live in PA... you have a Sahara right? If you don't you'll need to get the wider Sahara flares since aftermarket flares are against your local laws, and you'll have to run about 4.5"-4.75" of backspacing on 8" wheels to fit the tires under those flares to stay legal as well.[addsig]

Jeez Bob, first ya hork my pics of my site, now you're posting my posts
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

He's right though, I got nailed for 6" Warn flares and then got busted for my tires sticking out after I put the Sahara's on, so I ended up with AR767's with 4.75" backspacing. Covers my 33x12.50's almost perfectly. You can get away with 32's on your stock wheels (I looked at the pics
image-missing.png
) and assuming it's got 3.73's, you'll still have plenty of freeway power. Be wary of going to big in the suspension department though if you don't absolutely need it, gonna create alot of hidden extra's to make it all work. And these things add up in a hurry. For what you're looking at doing, I'd say go with something like an Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, 1" body lift, and the 32's. I run with a guy up there that ran this setup and he did alot more than medium level trails. Staying at that height will eliminate the need for stuff like a SYE, replacement control arms, and stuff. The only thing I'd look into is an adjustable front track bar. If you use the stock Canyons, it's gonna be critical to have the axles centered.[addsig]

Been studying for a time myself on this subject! The first thing to do is just get ready to turn loose of a major hunk of cash! I plan to go to a Rubicon 2.5" lift and just bump up to 31 tires as I to use my Jeep as an every day ride.[addsig]

I know.... just cheked out the stores.....Don't have a "hunk of cash" right now...you know with Christmas and all that.
image-missing.png
Mabey just a good set of tires until after the holidays....what size can I put on my stock canyons for Green trails ? Also what kind for both trails and street ? Just a quick note....you all have to keep it real simple..I've NEVER even considerd doing anything like this untill October and I'm not sure all thats involved, or of the technicalitys. Don't tell anyone, but I'm a lift virgin.....shhhhhhhhhh LOL[addsig]

If there's no lift involved it's simple
image-missing.png

I'd get a set of 31"x10.50" TrXus... opinions will vary
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks Bob....I don't want to stop riding forthe winter, and GSA'a won't do the trick.....you like me, nothing better todo at 1:30 in the morning lol Will these work on the stock canyons ?[addsig]

Yeah man they outta fit right on the stock canyon wheels. I checked around and for my lift I went the skyjacker route. I bought the 4" kit with the soft ride springs and hydro shocks. I am very pleased with the results and the ride is pretty good...I think its better than the stock with the worn out shocks I had. It cost me around $900 for the lift and the 2.5 was like 100 less so I thought what the hell Ill put 4" on now with 31" x 10.5 right on my stock wheels and put bigger tires on later. I like the 31"s cuz they are still good for the street and not much noise. And with the lift I got I probably could have put on 33"s or even maybe larger with a bit of body lift. I may consider this in the future but I think I have a good start on it for now. Of course I have a YJ...I didnt really price the TJ kits. I would suggest saving for a larger lift if you can, because if you don't you will wish you had when you want to run bigger tires. Just my 2 cents.[addsig]

31's, some armor, and a front locker will get ya into enough trouble at PAP to keep ya busy for the winter. That's the way I'd go. I've got a Powertrax No-slip in my front and it's invisible on the street, but really shines on the trail. If you're gonna hold of on lifting now and still plan on adding stuff over the winter, plan on stuff that can still be utilized down the road...........most bang for your buck
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

Heres my two cents straight from Miami Florida...flatter than uncooked pancake mix. I'm ( soon to be ) going with a 3.5 inch RE lift with 1/2in spring spacers, 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's on AE 589 15x10. Thanks again to the state of Florida for letting me get away with the wheels sticking out from beneath the flares. I like this set up bc, you got Mud tires that still feel good on the street, INCREASES side stability ( turning stability on the road: bc your 4inch up and got wider wheels to compensate) and.....you can run right over about anything around here. =) Best of luck with the lift.[addsig]

Back