Finally bought a Jeep!

jeeprookie

After hours upon hours of looking, I finally found and actually purchased a Jeep. Now the fun begins and the money disappears. It is a 2000 TJ 6cyl 5 spd. hard and soft top, and the tires are possibly the smallest tires ever made by man! So those will be the first to be changed.

1. Im looking at the Superlift 4" suspension. What do you all think about this lift? Im in Florida so there are no serious rocks or anything like that for offroading (at least where im at). This lift is nicely priced for a young married man's wallet. I know you get what you pay for so that is why I would like to see what you all think.

2. Wheels will probably be the black rock crawler style wheels. I just need to know what size wheels and backspace I need to go with the 4" lift and 33/12.5/15 tires? Ive heard 15x8 w/ 4.5 backspace will work. Is this correct?

3. And finally Im looking at either Pro Comp MT's or the BFG MT's unless someone convinces me to go AT's. Which of the two do you all like? I will be driving mostly on road, but want good offroad tires for those often trips in the dirt and mud. All advice is highly appreciated.
Thanks!!

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for a lift on my TJ too. I want Skyjacker, but damn they want an arm and two legs for their TJ stuff! I don't know....I'm getting alot of different opinions about TJ lifts that don't support my experiences with leaf spring lifts. I wouldn't buy(and use) a Superstiff leaf spring if it was half price.....but I've been told by a few people that their TJ lifts are pretty good.

I'd run a 10" wheel. The 33x12.50 is going to have a tread that is about 10 inches wide....

Go with a mud terrain.

RE: Tire Balancing

Sounds like you are on the right track as for lift, tires and wheels. There are so many choices, if you have it narrowed down to those for whatever reason I'd go with what you wrote. All decent products.

Go with either of those MT's, just remember to rotate them religiously. They will last alot longer that way.

Sometimes Pro Comp has a buy 3 get one free deal.

Slave Cyl (clutch question)...........

From what my son tells me about Florida and Georgia mud, definitely go with a mud tire. He was stationed at King's Bay, GA, so he was close enough that he wheeled both states frequently. I liked the BFG's I used to run, but for the price, they didn't hold up very well. You might check into Kumho or Mud King (what I run now). The Kumho's I used to run held up better than the BFG's, but don't have the 3 layered sidewalls like the BFG's (nor do the Mud Kings). However, I think if you're not doing anything where you'll be airing down, the sidewalls won't be a factor. I never had a problem with sidewalls not holding up. I know I read somewhere on here that you don't want to go more than 4 inches wider on the tire vs. the rim, but I can't be certain that was the number. Anyway, I'd suggest at least an 8" rim for anything wider than a 10.50 tire.

Echoing a previous post: PICTURES!!!!!

Oh, yeah, welcome to Jeepz! You'll find this place has some of the friendliest, most experienced, and most helpful folks on the net. I've been here just about a year now, and have learned tons of stuff from these guys!

RE: Question to moderators

I've also heard that you don't want the tire to be more than 4" wider than the rim, but then again i've been told by numerous shops that 8" rims can handle 33x12.5x15 tires...I guess .5" won't make much of a difference. As for the tires, bfg at's really are all-terrain tires, with the exception of deep mud. Procomp mud tires would be better for street driving than bfg muds b/c they have siping, and supposedly are computer designed to be quieter and last longer. Kumho does make a pretty good mud tire for the price though.

RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

I've run the BFG AT's, and aside from dry pavement, I didn't like any part of them. Even on gravel roads, they didn't handle at all as well as the MT's, and let's not even get into sand, mud, or snow. The pic on the left in my sig line is my Jeep with the AT's, and they had trouble getting over rocks the size of basketballs, and wouldn't even think about scaling a 12" log that day. The MT's, on the other hand, will climb any surface I've put them against without so much as a whimper. Get them on a gravel (sand) road, and they're like I'm driving on pavement. Get them in deep sand, and they go go go. Get them in snow, and no problems, either. In mud, they get excellent flotation, clean themselves at around 20mph, and will dig to China when I need them too, then hop right back on top with the flotation again when I let off the throttle. This is all my personal opinion based on personal experiences, but yeah, I'd say no matter what terrain, go with mud tires. Who cares about a little howl on the pavement? I kinda dig it, myself. In fact, the Mud Kings are much quieter than the Kumhos, which are only slightly quieter than the BFGs.

RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

I've also heard that you don't want the tire to be more than 4" wider than the rim, but then again i've been told by numerous shops that 8" rims can handle 33x12.5x15 tires

The 12.50 measurement is the section width of the tire(measured from sidewall to sidewall when mounted on a certain width rim), the tread width is whats important when selecting the rim width. Most 12.5" wide tires have a tread around 10". That tire will wear and work better with a 10" wide wheel. If you go to the manufacturer or a retailers website, they will list the recommended wheel width for a tire in a tech table. I don't THINK any of the manufaturers recommend anything narrower than an 8.5" wheel for their 12.50s. The tire is also sized on a certain width rim......most of the manufacturers use a 10" wheel to spec a 12.50 tire......there is a reason.

But in reality, you'll be fine with an 8" wheel in a 33x12.5. It's just not the best option in my opinion.

Go here and check out the table for the BFG MT: http://www.ntwonline.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=48&CATID=10&Product_ID=1098&count=2&Pcount=3&DETAIL=1

Re: RE: A Whole Year Already?!?

Thanks for all the help. You guys are quick to respond!
If I get a 10" wheel, do you all know what backspace Ill need with the lift and size tires I mentioned. I want just enough so theres no rubbing. No wider than that. Thanks again!

I personally like the 12.5 on a 8" wide rim for the ability to "balloon" the tire when aired down, also less likely to blow a bead when aired down IMHO.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Another welding question

12.50's on 8" wheels is a common setup. I ran 11.50's on a 7" wheel with no problems.

RE: Stuck in the Rio Grande

jps4jeep said:
I personally like the 12.5 on a 8" wide rim for the ability to "balloon" the tire when aired down, also less likely to blow a bead when aired down IMHO.

I have the same setup and havent lost a tires yet.

Back