No heat

snodog

RE: RUBICON WHEELS

I swapped out my radio now my heat doesnt work right. is there a vaccum line that maybe got disconnected? basically no matter what setting its on only blows through dash vents only,luke warm. Also the
temp. slide knob on dash doesnt slide properly,cable seems to be fine.
anyone?

RE: do you guys think these is a fair price for these my jee

Look at the flap on the passenger side near the door. if it's leaning backwards, there is a lever on the right side, flip it closed. Mine did that too, and when I flipped it closed, bam I got heat. Hope this helps.

RE: Re: Sure do miss you all!

oh man. I remember that flap on mine. I'd always be driving down the freeway and think "*%$*@, I fogot to shut (or open) that flap again"!!!

Yes, that thing will cause the heat to work.

RE: sign the petition...

I'll check that thanks. But my main concern is the blower only
coming through the dash vents, no defroster or floor heat. I'm
wondering if my heater assembly is no good.

Didnt see any flap on the passenger side.I have a 97 tj if that helps.

Am I losing it?

check the vacuum connector at the back of the heater controls. you probably knocked it loose when changing the radio, its just arubber plug that pushes on (on most vehicles). it will look like a plug with a number of small vacuum lines going into it - usually all on one connector. It'll be right at the back of the control.

RE: Am I losing it?

Boy am I glad this post came up. I had a post back last year about this..I have a 97 TJ also. I only get air thru the dash vents and floor...NONE thru defrost...has been this way for about 3 yrs now...and yes the Radio has been changed several times...by professionals and by me

RE: Am I losing it?

That was the first thing I looked at, the wiring/connectors are very
sraight foward. everything is in place. The odd thing is with engine off
you can hear the different vents opening and closing as I slide the lever.
But not when blower is on.

I dont know if this has anything to do with what happened but with my YJ I had no heat and figured out that in the engine bay under the battery tray theres a plug that goes into the firewall that got unplugged, i plugged it in and it was workin. Dont know if im any help

LR

RE: suspension lift+hinge shackles

Ok, first off, on a 97 TJ, the temp slide is manual, the rest is vacuum. Just to kinda clear up any confusion, cuz I think the newer TJ's are all vacuum and I have no clue on the YJs. Anyway, I dont know if this is any help, but my 97 is real bad about slipping the cable off of the temperature control. Its just got a little eye on the end of the cable, and if it slips off the only way to adjust the temp is to reach under the dash just to the right of the transmission tunnel and find the arm that the cable moves and move it from there (kinda scary to do going down the highway ;))

As to the other part, all I can suggest is to pull the control panel off the dash (not hard, like 4 screws) and check to see if any lines have slipped off. Hope this helps a little.

Nathan

Thats what Ive done, Pulled on the arm at the end of the cable,still only
luke warm. Eyelet is in its place,my main concern is no defroster only
blows through dash vents.As far as heat goes I'll have to go for the
obvious,thermostat. if that doesnt work I'm going to get a new heater/ac
control assembly. Just bothers me that all this happened after I pulled
the radio,kind of suspicious ya know.

graewulf said:
check the vacuum connector at the back of the heater controls. you probably knocked it loose when changing the radio, its just arubber plug that pushes on (on most vehicles). it will look like a plug with a number of small vacuum lines going into it - usually all on one connector. It'll be right at the back of the control.

Yup! The stock radio is shallower and narrower than aftermarket radios. This is the case with YJ's anyhow. Very common for them to interfere with the heater controls. Pull the radio out and investigate, I'm sure you'll find the problem.

RE: Daily Driver 87 YJ Rust - Fix it?

Radio has been out. Positively no vaccums/connectors are disconnected,
Ive traced back everything everything looks as should. I'm almost convinced
its the heater control assembly,with that being said has anyone replaced
theirs because of any problems.

I dont know how much help this is... i have an 87 YJ
I have just replaced my heater core, Anyway, what I noticed instantly was the real hot heat I got with the new core ($40). I know your newer jeep is probably more complex in its switching mechs, but the heat all comes from the same place - the hot coolant swirling around the motor. So if your switches aln buttons and whatever all seem to be doing what they should, but with out heat, then I would take a look at the core.
Mine was plugged from replacing 9 zillion thermostats and waterpumps and then sealing them with silicone ( actually only 2 thermos, and 1 pump) but anyhow, either the core is bad or what ever mechanical arm or valve or what not is not fully opening.
take it apart, its fun..!

not SO on-topic... but... that flap bounty was talkin about... I had that problem, I had no heat for quite a while, and couldn't figure it out. I closed it one day and it just instantly got warm. Since then, I relocated the spring on that lever from its original spot, and hooked it up to my door loop holder thingy. its always closed now

Is this flap thingy only on the TJ's? One reason Sunshine doesn't like the Jeep in the winter is that even when I've got the heater going full blast and I'm toasty warm, there is a draft of cold air that always blows on the passenger side. We've looked for the source before but can't find it. It's hard to crawl around the floorboard to find because you have to be driving at highway speeds for it to blow like that, and she doesn't want to have her seatbelt off, crawling around on the floor at highway speeds (yeah, I don't want that either). So, is this the problem? It doesn't sound like it to me, because heat blows out of the center floor vent really well, really hot (and all other vents, too).

Flaps are closed,no draft just wont blow hot only luke warm. To recap luke warm heat
only through dash vents wont blow through floor or defroster.
What Ive done- checked all vaccum lines/connectors,temp cable is fine,
all flaps are closed,all fuses ok. everything as should be. I'm stumped.
Just hesitant to go to the stealership and open the wallet.

Re: RE: Re: RE: 2006 or 07 Redesigned Wrangler

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
It's hard to crawl around the floorboard to find because you have to be driving at highway speeds
So that was you that passed me doing 80 with their feet stuck up in the air! :shock:
:roll:

Ok, for the OP:

So, it's only lukewarm, and only through the dash vents tells me two things. ONE: You may have a plugged heater core. This may have been caused by introducing foreign objects to the cooling system such as the plastic seal off of a bottle of antifreeze, or excessive use of BarsLeak. TWO: You have a vacuum leak that is preventing the ductwork from switching to defrost vents and floor vents. Even though your hoses are all attached, there is most likely a hole in one of them, or it is being pinched somewhere due to the installation of your radio. This same vacuum leak could be the cause for your heater core not getting the full amount of heated water from the cooling system, as well. Since you are experiencing both problems, I'm leaning more toward a vacuum line problem than an actual heater core problem. I know you said everything is connected properly, but have you traced the vacuum lines from origin to termination points to look for a leak? That should be your next step. I'm betting a virtual dollar that is what you'll find.

Back