Rear Locking Diff, on a CJ?!?!

SenorCole86

I found a sticker on the inside of my glovebox that I've never noticed before which read something like this :

WARNING
This vehicle is equipped with locking differential type rear-wheel drive.
Then some stuff about being careful when you have one rear wheel jacked up.

Was there ever a SWB Jeep sold stock with locking diffs except those new unlimited's? I got this Jeep pretty old and there might be some stuff on there that never knew about. I have not taken the rear diff apart to check and have no idea how to check from the outside. Any input? Thanks guys.

Limited slip maybe. Pick up both wheels and spin one. If the other spins the same way, that would be limited slip. If it spins backward, it's open.

google for axle identification and match the pics.

Probably has a Trac Lok.

Yep. It's not an actual locking differential, it's a limited slip unit.

*As a side note. Posi-traction is a term that is owned by GM. Posi means limited slip, but you don't have Posi unless you have a GM vehicle with limited slip.

RE: What to do What to do

Junkpile said:
*As a side note. Posi-traction is a term that is owned by GM.

Eaton owns the name "posi-traction" as well. But them and GM are the only ones called that.

Eaton owns the name "posi-traction" as well. But them and GM are the only ones called that.

I didn't know that.
I guess they would have rights to it, but are they allowed to sell non-GM applications under the name Posi-Traction?

If a posi unit is just a limited slip, then which is the one that delivers power to the inside wheel on a turn?

Ok, thanks, I don't know why I didn't go out and spin the wheels before I posted, but I did after. I spun one and the other spun in the same direction but I noticed the driveshaft was spinning too, so I hung on to that thing and then spun the wheel and the other moved backward. So I guess Twisted was right, it's pretty worn out. Probably a good sign that I need and oil change back there too, since the driveshaft was spinning.

some limited slips work on biasing clutch packs, some work on a ratio principle, where if one spins twice as much as the other the other side will kick in. if you spun the wheels and the driveshaft turned, thats a good thing, doesnt mean you need to change the oil in it or anything. however if you do change the oil in it make sure its the right kind, some limited slips use a special oil or additive or whatnot.

RE: Snorkel? carb?

Junkpile said:

I didn't know that.
I guess they would have rights to it, but are they allowed to sell non-GM applications under the name Posi-Traction?

Yep. As far as exactly what they call them, I'm not sure if they use the phrase "posi-Traction"...but I know they do use the "posi" part (and they are the only ones besides GM and Chevy to use the word Posi).

I know I've seen Eaton Posi diffs. for Toyota, Ford, and some others.

Back