Re-arching leaf springs

billgin

Thanks to all who responded to my Nov. 10th post on Add-a-leaf kits. I'm concerned that the AAL might flatten out like I'm hearing, although I'm wondering if that is from normal on-road use or the strains of off-roading. Maybe getting the existing springs re-arched is better. Anybody know how they do that? Can you specify the tension to create a specific amount of lift? Also, can you be sure that each spring will be re-arched to the same specs (wouldn't want to have one corner lower than the rest)? Had this done years ago on the tranverse leaf spring of my old Triumph Spitfire and it lifted the rear end so high that the wheels looked like they were barely touching the road! Thanks.[addsig]

I am glad you brought up the rearch question. I have a friend that is in the business of rearching springs in Johnson City TN and tomorow I will have the answer and a price to have my springs done as well. I will get back top you asap. Tug[addsig]

Ok I made over to the spring shop. These guys do mostly Tri Axel Dump trucks and heavy trucks of assorted sizes. However for extra money the owner lets the guys do light truck and Jeep work on the weekends. They take em off, re-arch the springs, add a long spring leaf, put in new u bolts, new bushings, and rebolt the whole thing back together. This will give you from 2" to 2.5" lift depending on the amount of arch gone from your orginal springs. The reason for the extra leaf is to keep the springs from saging again, As the man said jeep springs are to soft from the factory for the weight and designed use. this is all from a guy that has made his empire from springs for over 35 years. Now get this drive in drive out time 3 to 4 hours 2" to 2.5" lift, springs strong enough so they are not going to loose there arch again all for $50.00 a wheel parts and labor. I will be there to get mine done really soon. I will let you know how it works then. Tug[addsig]

are you saying that they re-arch the spring, add one more leaf, bolt it back on with new U-bolts, and it's only $200!? and they can do it in one day!?

image-missing.png
[addsig]

That is what the man said. I just about fell out of my chair. I am on the list to have it done. I will keep you posted. This shop is in Johnson City Tennessee and If you live close enough I will give you the number and go from there. Can you see a better bargan in the lift world! Tug

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Tug - that's amazing! Too bad I live a little too far away from Tennessee to make it worth the trip, and then there's that currency exchange problem...I live in Ottawa, Canada. But I gotta check it out here. Thanks for the info![addsig]

Back