just got a ride on some BFG MTs

hoobness

My boss today surprised me when he arrived in his nephews ford superduty rolling 1 week-old BFG MTs. Funny thats the tire I was looking at buying, so I asked him for a ride. (they look great, even at 9"wide)
there was a quarter inch of snow on the ground, those tires handled like they were bald. They slipped and slided everytime he accelerated!

Will my jeep ride better with them the F250 superduty?
I dont reallly care about the noise, I just want to know I can stop when I want to, and take a turn, or change lanes and not end up in a tree.

NOW - am I over reacting? Ill admit, I have never rode on mud tires. Will the kumho MT be just the same?
Someone mentioned that when getting MTs, some comforts are given up, while some are realized.. but should the difference on street be alot?

RE: Another NEW XJ member

I have heard that most "mud" tires are going to lack traction on the icy slick roads. The thing about a tire that helps in these situations are sipes little slits in the tread, if you look at a snow tire you will see what I am talking about. I have a couple friends who run BFG MT on their YJ and have heard no complaints from either one, infact both sets are wearing quite well considering that they both do most of their driving on the street.
Evan.

Getting mud tires siped should improve wet weather traction and longevity. Pro-comp muds come with siping though.

The Pro Comp muds work Great in snow. I have them on my 99, and here in Colorado, half of the wheelin i do is in snow and wet weather, and have yet to have a problem.

They're worse in rain or wet roads because you don't expect the reaction you get. Key is just driving sensibly, it's not a sports car.

I've been driving them and the 6" lift for 4 years, no accidents. :wink:

RE: light bar light wiring routes

Always got much better traction with my mud tires (BFG, Kumho, Mud King) than the AT's in snow and ice situations. Actually, I think I like them better on wet pavement, too.

Never had any problems with my Mastercraft MTs, but then the only other tires Ive had on the jeep were the bald BFG ATs that were on it when I bought it.

Nathan

the other thing you have to consider is the air pressure in the ford... if its pumped to sidewall or spec. pressure the traction is going to be compromised... we actually got a good amount of snow here in vegas this winter and the one day (yea... ONE day... - i love the southwest!) i had to drive home in it my BFG MT's did great! i'm running them at 25 psi for a flatter footprint... just my $.02

Good point, LV. Full spec pressure would definitely create traction problems on ice and snow. Back in January when we had the big ice storm, I had to air down to 15 to get good traction.

Back