THrottle body spacers?

BiohazardYJ

Re: Detroit or ARB in rear DANA 44?

This may sound like a dumb ?, but what are the Throttle Body Spacer's used for is it for greater power and increased RPM/shift.. Will this help with loss of power i get from 5th gear going about 45mph??? Does it go attatched infront of the TPS??? Help BIO :oops:

RE: Re: RE: Forum rules and guidelines

If you get a TBS, in order to get the maximum performance out of it you need to make sure it has a V8 bolted to the bottom of it! :lol:

2nd that. Save the 70$$ and pay a machine shop to bore out our throttle body instead. Money better spent.

RE: Carter carb to Motorcraft 2150 swap writeup

Biohazard, what engine you running?

I noticed some quicker throttle response after my TB spacer. I look at it as part of an overall power enhancement package, and not just the felt gain of one mod.

RE: Cheap 4X4

Bounty__Hunter said:
I look at it as part of an overall power enhancement package, and not just the felt gain of one mod.

Exactly.

By itself, you will be lucky if you ever feel the slightest difference.

RE: Not the U-joints but...

With that money, if you want power, buy an electric fan.. it is the BEST mod for the money

Jumpin' jeep

I felt some difference whem I did my TBS .. but at the same time I had bought the kit from rusty's that also included the K&N and cat-back exhaust... im sure it was all three working together..

It made for a lot better acceleration

It can make difference, but to modify the earlier idea that it is part of a system, it's really only a benefit if the rig is geared more towards mid-higher rpms. If you have added the other parts of the previously mentioned package.....AND you operate the engine in the range where it's advantageous, then it's a good thing. If you are just putting around town in a stocker though.....don't waste your money.

I noticed absolutely no difference at all. As Bounty mentioned I see it as an overall enhancement package. The spacer along with a good exhaust and intake, then you'll notice a difference. I did find one benifit to it though...because of my body lift, the intake tube going from my airbox to my intake was too short. The spacer corrected this problem.

With that money, if you want power, buy an electric fan.. it is the BEST mod for the money

About the fans...

do you need to worry about going into deep water? IE: submerging the elec motor?

do they come with thermostats or do i have to control the thing from the cab..?

Rec'd my lift today!

hoobness said:

About the fans...

do you need to worry about going into deep water? IE: submerging the elec motor?

do they come with thermostats or do i have to control the thing from the cab..?

Depends on which brand you get. Some have built in thermostats (I'd recommend those) and some don't. The one I've been looking at is the Black Diamond (I think that's the name, Black something) and it has both a thermostat and a switch in the dash. You can expect anywhere from 5 to 20 HP gain with an electric fan, from the reading I've done on them, most of them actually more around 15 to 17 HP, plus a fairly decent increase in MPG.

RE: Poll Topic: Loncoln Locker vs. Detroit SofLock

I wouldn't expect any power difference you can feel from an electric fan. But it's a decent mod nonetheless.

Most hook a switch up to the electric fan so it can be turned off for deep water crossings. It's possible to hook up a switch to the power feed to the thermostat so the thermostat can control the fan until it's overidden by the manual switch.

RE: Poll Topic: Loncoln Locker vs. Detroit SofLock

Flex-a-lite FLX475. Nice piece, but a little pricey. I loved the one in my'92 Yj. Mount a toggle switch on the dash for water crossings.

Definately the most improvement in performance and gas mileage from any of the mods I did.

Can be done alot cheaper with a junkyard fan and some creative bracketry. I did the Flexalite cause it took me about 1 hour to install.

RE: Steering correction for a spring over lift

Yeah it definitely is the first power/mileage/function. I had one in for a while, but put the clutch fan back in soon when the electric motor took a dump on me (just a coincidence, it wasn't due to water or anything)

Snitty said:
Yeah it definitely is the first power/mileage/function. I had one in for a while, but put the clutch fan back in soon when the electric motor took a dump on me (just a coincidence, it wasn't due to water or anything)

Eeeewwwww! Fan poop! :(

Ditto on the Flexalite, love mine. Took about an hour and has worked flawlessly for about a year now. I hooked up a cutoff switch and a manual on switch, plus is has the automatic mode with the thermostat. It also creates a lot of space in the engine compartment - if you have the 2.5 anyways.

RE: Steering correction for a spring over lift

Yep, and with an electric fan (in my opinion) it is MUCH better to get one that will automatically come on to whatever temp you want it to.

I have mined wired so it can be on, off, or automatic come on.

Back