2" body lift

duff

Right stuff for right person

a guy i know bought a trail master 2" body lift for his cj but had to sell it before he put the lift on and i can pick it up for next to nothing for my cj. i'm wondering if it's a bolt in or will i have to modify things like the radiator or steering shaft. i've never installed a body lift before and eventhough it seems pretty easy, a little imput never hurt. thanks.

RE: Re: new grill guard

I'm not sure about the steering shaft, but you'll probably have to drop the radiator fan shroud at least.

You will need to extend the steering shaft. It's not really a modification to the shaft, but pullling it apart after it's been in the same position for decades can be a chore. If you have a manual transmission then your clutch linkage will need to be modified(or swapped out for a better system). The Z-bar linkage pivots on two points. One pivot point is on the body, when you raise the body, the two pivot points will not be level anymore. I've got a piece of angle iron that holds the pivot point that used to mount on the body. It itself bolts in using one of the body mounts. The linkage is crap though. Even brand new, it is troublesome when you get the jeep all twisted up. Replacing it with something like the AA kit is a nice upgrade.
The gas tank filler hose might be long enough with a 2" BL, I don't know. It is on a 1" BL, and it isn't on a 3" BL....I've never installed a 2" on a CJ. If it isn't, Maybe you could use that as an excuse to raise the gas tank the same amount as your BL......which you will LOVE. I'm always dragging my tank across stuff and the BL gives room to get it up and out of the way. You can also raise the engine/transmission/Tcase after you install the BL. The exhaust and skidplate can go up too. There are a ton of advantages to be enjoyed with a BL.....not even counting the bigger tires you can run.

thanks for the replys. i was hoping to avoid messing with the clutch linkage. i'm welding in new pans under the seats and a new step up panel so i thought this would be a good time to put the BL in. i was planning on doing them at the same time but with the cj being my main ride i dont think i'll have time to do both at once. i did plan on raising the tank, but cant recall ever seeing it done before so i was just going to fab something up out of angle iron. what is the AA kit ?

If it is a new kit from trailmaster I would think that it would come with everything u need for a complete installation. Mine came with all the brackets to drop the radiator and etc..

The Advance Adapters clutch linkage kit is a chain actuated linkage that replaces the factory Z-bar setup. I'm not sure they still make it anymore, I haven't heard anyone mention it in awhile. The factory system is okay if you keep it in perfect shape by rebuilding it with new bushings and clips when it develops play.

My Jeeps Gone!

i got a chance to check out the kit and its not a trailmaster but a performace accesories. it comes with a new bracket and a piece of rod to lengethen the clutch rod. it seems like a pretty nice set up so i'm going to put it in hopefully next week. my seat belts pulled right out of the floor because of rust so when i put the new floors in i'll put the BL in. with all my new parts hanging around, including the new rear breaks i picked up today, it's almost like x-mas.

Back