Rear Brakes not locking up

Joopin

Super Moderator
The last time I went to get my jeep inspected they told me that my rear brakes were bad. He told me it could just need to be bled but it could also be the wheel cylinders. He suggested that I raise the rear wheels off the ground, hit the gas and slam on the brakes. I did the test and the wheels didn't lock up but slowly came to a pulsing stop. The thing is I don't remember what the outcome was supposed to mean, wheel cylinders or bleed the brakes.

Does anyone know? I just rebuilt all the brakes when I did my lift about 15 months ago...

Jesse
what else was "rebuilt" when the 44 went in? cause probably not a wheel cylinder but if it was, the wheel would just not stop, could be air in the line which means it need bleeding, but before you try that, open up the master and make sure it is at least 1/2 full.

If the fluid is fine, more than likely needs adjustment (if the all the hardware is fairly new) there is a small "inspection" hole in the back of the drum, you should be able to fit the handle from a brake pliers in there and adjust the brake tensioner, you want a little drag with the wheel on, to do it with out having to put the wheel on every five seconds will take some time

Could be neither, I'd recommend checking the thickness of the brake shoes, and adjusting them properly until they drag, then back 'em off a bit.

RE: Cheap 4X4

Sorry, but when I said "rebuilt", I meant I replaced everything new in the axle. Brakes, brake lines, gears, bearings, etc.

I did check the master and it was full. I havn't bled it yet, I will finally have time next week to do it. I forgot all about the tensioner, but doesn't that adjust itself? When the pad on the shoes wear down, that tensioner adjusts to keep the pad near the drum. I was thinking of just replacing the shoes, but I would like to try some of the easier things first.

Thanks for the input. Keep ya posted.

RE: need a little help

Thanks for reminding me.. i'm getting the same thing. I need to get some new shoes on there and adjust them properly. I'm goin almost to the floor, but on a second pump, I get better pressure

RE: TJ revving too high

Don't always count on the self-adjuster to do what it's supposed to. Just adjust the shoes yourself when you notice you need more e-brake throw to engage the rear brakes.

I've never owned a vehicle that had working Ebrakes. Not because of the shoes or adjustment, but because I live in NY, and the cables rust to be inoperable 15 minutes after they are installed

RE: No gas on start up

I have the same problem with my 97 tj. I always fail for brake inbalence, I adjust the brakes just prior to getting inspection and it still fails. I have been told to replace all the hardware and new pads and wheel cylinders.I have not done this yet as it has been to cold to lay on the ground. I also suspect the problem may not be as bad as it seems as the jeep stops fine without any pulling or pushing or dipping etc. I have also been told my the state insector that "all 97 tj's with the 4 cylinder and big tires fail" what does he mean by this? thanks New Jersey.

Re: Who's OJ Gonna Use Now?

It ended up being worn out shoes, not to mention that the drums needed to be turned. I also replaced the spring kit. The wheel cylinders were fine. I guess premature wear can be chaulked up to the big tires, a trade of for driving the Stomper!

Back