TJ revving too high

Roberto

Hi guys,
My 97 TJ 4.0L is revving too high. This happens when the engine is warm. It doesn't happen all the time though. Sometimes when I Clutch in the revvs just take of to 2000, and then drop back to 1500 until I take off.
I have doen the ignition check and only code 55 comes up. I have a suspicion it is the TPS. Anyone have any thoughts??
Thanks in advance...

RE: Oil leak Diff. near wheel

I'm guessing a dirty or faulty IAC (Idle air control) motor. It's located on the passenger side of the throttle body and the IAC housing is held on with 4 tamper-proof torx bolts. I'd remove and clean this housing, being careful not to strip the bolts.

Thanks Bounty Hunter. Can you give me a bit more info on what to do and where the IAC is located? Remember, I am in Australia and our steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car...
Is the housing easy to remove?? And all I have to do is clean it inside??
Any more info would really help...
Thanks...

RE: Career Change 2: Radiologic Technology

Then the IAC housing is on the driver's side in your instance. It's easy to remove the IAC housing by removing the 4 tamper-proof torx holding it on. Clean it well, and you should notice a difference.

The entire throttle body is easy to remove and clean, I'd do the whole thing at once.

Back