TFI upgrade, What is it?

ebagsayz

NW event

Could someone fill me in on this tfi upgrade, i'm clueless and what does that stand for anyways? is it worth it over stock and can woudl msd ignition help over top of that? lol thanks people

Changed my avatar today - This is from last year at Moab

TFI ignotion is in the "How To" section of this website. You can read about it there. I've never ran it, but I've heard it is a great upgrade.

Next 2150 question

I noticed a slight improvement starting, but I didn't think it was worth the money of putting it on my '87.

RE: Front Wheel bearings

I think for the money, go with a 4.0 head and fuel system swap. I think you'll be able to save money, and get a better increase

RE: Need YJ Hard Top - California/Nevada

lah2420 said:
I noticed a slight improvement starting, but I didn't think it was worth the money of putting it on my '87.

You can do it for less than $100. I have a jacobs on my trail rig and went with the TFI on my 2nd jeep mostly due to the difference in price. I'd say the TFI is comparable to the $350 jacobs and is a much better deal when you look at the price difference. You may have to reset your timing and you need to regap your plugs when you do it. It will do a whole lot better with a non bbd carb too (I've got a weber on one and MC2100 on the other). The TFI made a big difference on the 2nd jeep, and adding a MC2100 carb made it into a whole nother vehicle. One thing I really like about the TFI is the new cap does a lot better at keeping water out of the dist cap. Nice when you don't have to stop and remove the dist cap to dry it out when you go through a lot of water.

The bigger, better cap is a definite improvement.

As far as what TFI is, it's Ford's cheesy version of GMs HEI.

hmmm, so you reccomend gm's HEI? if so, can i still use an MSD?
BTW...JACOBS or MSD, difference or just blah?

you say cheesy version of hei, so tfi sucks compared to hei? like in quality in duration and parts or performance

It's a Ford engine part......chances are, it sucks compared to ANYTHING.

Really though, any of the high energy ignitions would be a good upgrade.

Back