Door pin / dome light installation

JeepMonkey

I wonder would it be possible to splice a wire into the door pins that activate the dome light when you open them? Then run that wire somehow to the back of the jeep and put the same type of door pin on the tailgate. Call me a puss, but I'd like the light to come on when I open the tailgate.

Nothin' puss about it - when it's dark, lights are nice!! 8) I just use the switch on my TJ and as soon as I install the sound bar, mudwoman's YJ will have some light. But I'm sure there's a way....there's a fuse I disconnected so I could take off my doors and not worry about the light staying on. Check your owners manual and then ask XJNick - the electrical guru! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi jumppr,

I don't know which model of Jeep you own...but...

On my CJ, the door pin-switches complete the interior courtesy light circuit to chassis ground when a door is opened. That is: when a door is opened the pin-switch button pops out and the wire on the back end of the switch is connected to the tub.

There is always +12 Volts applied to one wire of the two wire courtesy lighting circuit -- even with the ignition key "Off." A pin-switch merely provides the ground required to complete the circuit.

I added a pin-switch to the tailgate of the Bubbacon by splicing the tailgate pin-switch wire into the existing ground wire that connects to the hardtop dome light.

When the tailgate is opened, all original courtesy lights come on: The hardtop dome light, the two lights under and at each side of the dash, as well as two truck step-bumper license plate lights mounted into the rear speaker enclosures. The latter two illuminate the floor immediately in front of the rear seat.

Piece of cake!

Caveat: The above applies to 1985 CJ-7s. As regards other Jeep models, I don't know.

Regards,

Gadget

Back