Steering stabilizer opinions?

PhattyX

While trying to work some of the kinks out of my '86 CJ7, I was reminded of how much I dislike the wander in the steering. Basically, it pulls to the left when on the gas and it's just plain squirelly when letting off gas and braking.

I've been looking at getting a steering stabilizer and haven't seen a single complaint about them. I have a couple questions before I do it, though.

1. Is there something that could be tightened / adjusted before I start throwing money at the problem?

2. Is there "stages" of stabilizer? I only have an inch lift w/ 31"s and have most of the parts for a 4" lift which is planned for the winter. So, if I put the stabilizer on now and get used to it, will the lift / new tires put me back to the same place or does the stabilizer "cushion more" as the wander increases?

Thanks for any advice / opinions!

-X

The final solution to my cj problems

PhattyX said:
While trying to work some of the kinks out of my '86 CJ7, I was reminded of how much I dislike the wander in the steering. Basically, it pulls to the left when on the gas and it's just plain squirelly when letting off gas and braking.

I've been looking at getting a steering stabilizer and haven't seen a single complaint about them. I have a couple questions before I do it, though.

I've just done the following throughout on VEX, my 1983 CJ-7. Solves all your questions-issues to like factory new.

1. Is there something that could be tightened / adjusted before I start throwing money at the problem?

This is quite common in older CJs and is easliy corrected. First, see if there is play in the steering shaft, its U-joint coupling. Next, check to see if tie rod ends are tight, the connectiing rod from the passenger side steering knuckle to the pittman arm. And the steering box itself for any play. If so for any of these, replace it with new aftermarket or OEM.

2. Is there "stages" of stabilizer? I only have an inch lift w/ 31"s and have most of the parts for a 4" lift which is planned for the winter. So, if I put the stabilizer on now and get used to it, will the lift / new tires put me back to the same place or does the stabilizer "cushion more" as the wander increases?

If you do the mods above, if needed, and put on a steering stabilizer of any make, you're all set. After the lift, you'll want to install a dropped pittman arm, if it didn't come with the lift kit. Stabilizers do not work on resistance--they work on dampening so no adjustable type is nessesary.

Make sure too that your wheel bearings are tight too, as CJs have a tendency to losen up over time, everywhere, and must be torqued back down--just the nature of the beast, an that includes anything that moves or can vibrate from normal usage.

how can i get better gas mileage?

Thanks for all the info. I will certainly do a reality check under there before getting the stabilizer.

Thanks again,

-X

RE: Re: RE: Question?

THe stabilizer certainly will not hurt. It will make a big difference off-road though.

Back