4.0L operating temp

GarySmart

RE: OT -- "Store Wars"

Can someone tell me the correct operating temperture for a 2001 TJ 4.0L.....This is the first Jeep I have owned and mine runs 210 degrees...That seems high to me.

210 is normal. You can always change the stat. I put a 180 in cause i dont like it running that hot either. You will loose some fuel economy by lowering it though.

RE: high beams work, low beams won

Here's another thought...we have a 2004 TJ 4.0L
When we bought it, it ran at 210 to 215 degrees. However, once we changed to a synthetic blend engine oil the operating temp dropped under 210...somewhere down to about 200 I'd guess by the guage. Not a significant drop, but it did go down. Gas mileage was not reduced by this change.

If you need Emissions in you area you should keep the 210 in there. You can end up changing the long term fuel trim and eventually it can cause you CEL to come on. Not to mention losing power and fuel economy.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I shimmie

actually you will gain power by running it cooler. It makes the computer think its cold and runs a little rich.(more fuel-and air--=more power)mine fly's through deq w/o a problem.

I never said it would definetly do that but It can and I have seen it. If it doesn't reach operating temp the engine never leans out the fuel mixture like you said. The problem is you are leaving the POSSIBILITY to accelerate using up your O2 sensors and Catalytic converter. Even if this doesn't do the above it can turn on you check engine light do to changing your long term Fuel trim. If fuel trim gets high enough you computer can disregard what your sensors are telling it and go into a preprogramed mode. This is where you will loose all performace. Like I said this is only possible. You may be lucky and it might not happen to you or it might happen tomorrow. My point is you don't know and this falls under the if it isn't broke don't fix it.

RE: Re: clutch?

yjdave said:
actually you will gain power by running it cooler. It makes the computer think its cold and runs a little rich.

hence the possibility for emissions testing woes and lower gas mileage.

RE: New wrenching injury!

210 is ok. But 210 degree engines don't like cold water crossings. Could be risking cracking your block. Something to consider.

dick_wilderness said:
210 is ok. But 210 degree engines don't like cold water crossings. Could be risking cracking your block. Something to consider.

Would someone please shave that rabbit?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, dude, just couldn't resist!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back