Master Cylinder Leaking

jay79cj7

FOLLOW UP: Rust Removal DONE! (Pics/Story inside)

79 CJ-7 w/ stock power brakes

My master cylinder was leaking into my booster and loosing fluid pretty fast (front reservoir was dry one time) last fall so when I did the CJ rebuild and had everything apart anyway, I replaced it with a remanufactured one. They did not supply a gasket for between the master and booster, so I reused the old. It looks to just keep stuff out, rather than be a seal for brake fluid anyway.

The brakes work great, but its leaking again. I have a slow drip at the base of the cylinder where it bolts to the booster, and the fluid is disappearing again, I presume into the booster. There are no leaks that I can find anywhere else.

The gasket at the base is not in perfect shape, but that should not cause a leak, right? The master cylinder should not leak through the piston area to even get to this gasket, correct?

I believe that I need to replace this master under warranty, and I can't find a new gasket for the base anywhere for when I do. Is it important, and if so, where can I get one?

Should I steer clear of reman's and buy a new (more $) one?

Thanks!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Unlimited Rubi, Hemi, 37

Remans are ok sometimes U just get a bad one . I would replace it though under warranty just seal to the booster with some good gasket maker.(silicon)

Back