YJ home-made steering linkage questions

hoobness

RE: dana 30 torque specs

Im thinking of making my own steering linkage for my YJ. I bought some D44s off a Grand Waggy but they were just cut-off from the previous vehicle. I was planning on going to a plumbing supply co. and geting some beefy pipe, but Im not sure this is safe or smart..
but when I search around no one says that the beefy linkages for sale are made any different. After all its just metal pipe with heim joins on the ends right?

Any advice on going about this?

BTW.. check out my jeep resto progress on
www.cardomain.com
member = hoobs

Pipe used for plumbing is a LOT weaker than what you want to use. However, I'm not sure what size and wall thickness you'd want for steering arms, so I can't help you there. I'd go to a place that sells steel and get some beefier stuff.

We did that on the ol' BBJ a couple years ago, it's still holding strong after many many many days of wheeling

You need to use DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing, I would suggest 1.25" OD tubing, have a machine shop either tap the ends to accept tie rod ends, heim joints, or Johnny joints or have a threaded insert welded on there! I have a bunch of people in my club with this type of steering set up, they can jack their jeeps up by the Drag link if needed, very strong! and about as bullet proof as you get!

RE: 1987 XJ Pioneer Ed for sale

jps4jeep said:
You need to use DOM (drawn over mandrel) tubing, I would suggest 1.25" OD tubing....

If you go with 1.25" for an OD, what would you suggest for the inside diameter? How thick should the walls be?

Snitty, what size pipe did you use?

He just used 1 1/4" OD iron pipe... NEVER had a problem, and there have been some nasty situations. I suggested running a smaller, but snug fit, diameter pipe or bar inside it to double the strength, but he neglected to do so, and it still works great

Snitty said:
He just used 1 1/4" OD iron pipe... NEVER had a problem, and there have been some nasty situations. I suggested running a smaller, but snug fit, diameter pipe or bar inside it to double the strength, but he neglected to do so, and it still works great
Never have I questioned you fabrication skills, but are you sure? I am suprised that it has not turned into a pretzal!

after all that you pay for the two pieces of pipe, cost wise, a single piece of DOM will be about the same ($20) and less work, yes you will have to have a machine shop do some of the work, but My local machine shop quoted only $40!, $10 per-drill and tap.

as for the wall size, 5/16" wall should be more than stout.
Check out rock krawler, They

RE: another dumb request...clutch...

We would have used DOM if it were availible at the time. The link was to be used as an offroad link only for a while to test its durability. After months of that and zero flaws, he decided to take it on the road. It worked great. He has no problem standing behind its durability even at highway speeds. We're talking about simply 1 1/4" iron black pipe, with 2 bends as to make it a Z link. He never even did go with the double thickness because he has never had any sign of fatigue whatsoever.

If it was MY jeep, you'd be sure that I am going with DOM

Back