Jeep Trailer???

jeepfan555

RE: Does SOA + 4" lifted Springs = good Idea?

Ok so I totaled a 92 YJ a while back and now I want to make it into a trailer since I bent the frame and can't use it. I wanted some input from you guys/girls to find out what I am getting myself into. The plan I have right now is to cut the body right where the doorframe ends towards the back of the Jeep and then cut the frame towards the front more. I am then planning on closing in the front of the trailer and adding a ball hitch of some sort and some type of an a-frame to the front for towing. The rest I am planning on keeping stock. Is something like this do-able? What do you guys think?

Totally do able. Just torch it right down the middle!

No but seriously, I would cut it down how you said. Towards the back or the doors and leave some frame in the front. Maybe lay down some thick sheets of wood and then make some braces to run across it. I would cut the frame in front right behind the leaf springs perches. Box the frame, then weld a triangle > to the front of the frame for the receiver. Only do a military style receiver that is a bog circle so you can have more free movement. Other people will know exactly what I am talking about I just dont know what that style is called. Anyone?

RE: Jeep Trailor???

Sully said:
Only do a military style receiver that is a bog circle so you can have more free movement. Other people will know exactly what I am talking about I just dont know what that style is called. Anyone?

Pintle?

Re: RE: Jeep Trailor???

Hi-Ya jeepfan555,

I have seen what you are contemplating done several times, but never to a Jeep body-frame. The homemade trailers I have seen were made from the cargo box and frame of a pickup truck.

Advantages to using a light truck box and frame are that the front of the cargo box is already enclosed and the box will likely have an operable tailgate. Perhaps, a more sturdy frame and axle too.

But, I see no reason a dead Jeep should not live again as a trailer.

Sully wrote:

... Only do a military style receiver that is a bog [big] circle so you can have more free movement. Other people will know exactly what I am talking about I just don't know what that style is called. Anyone?

Sully, if this is the style of hitch you were describing, it is called a "pintle" hitch.

image-missing.png

A great hitch for slow going in rough terrain, but annoying on the street/highway. Too much slop allows the trailer to bang around like crazy.

Regards,

Gadget

RE: imagestation rant

It depends on what kind you get that determines wether the hook and pintle are noisy. Some are tighter than others.

Plus, that's what semi's use...so you definatly can't go wrong with it!!

The trailer idea sounds cool though. Never seen a Jeep though, just pickup truck beds.

I have a gutted postal jeep that I've been wondering what to do with. Maybe I'll make it into a trailer! Thanks for the idea jeepfan555!

RE: Re: Not new to jeepz but been away awhile

88Wrangles wrote:

It depends on what kind you get that determines wether the hook and pintle are noisy. Some are tighter than others.

Good point, eighty-eight!

My experience with the pintle-style hitch was during my time in the Athenian Army during the Peloponnsian War.

Things have improved since then. :lol:

Regards,

Noisy Pintle, Gadget

haha, that's funny Gadget!!

You are right though, a lot of them are noisy. It's just one of those things you have to research to find good and/or quite ones...the best way being to swing by a trailer place and maybe even get some kind of demo.

New Game - Dunk Mingez

but isnt the articulation afforded by a pintle hitch worth the noise? i mean... its a Jeep... not a lexus - noisy by nature anyway - heck.. i put my new rear bumper on (with the 2 shackles) and it actually took a day or two for me to figure out what the new "clunking" noise was over bumps... "doh!" thought my "in bed" spare mount ws loose! - a little extra noise is worth it! - and think... weld in or mount some half steel doors, match the paint/lift/tires, hang the spare off the back of the trailer (okay not good for balance) and that will look tight! and be functional.... (dangerous thoughts running thru my head....!!!!)

yes they are

wow a trailer like that id buy one for sure look good on the back of my yj

Lifting a zj (AGAIN)

I was going to do that to a YJ I found but the deal fell through, There is a company that makes them with a tent that folds up from it too. Good luck with the project!

RE: Check engine light???

Are you chopping the jeep at the fire wall and using half doors like LVRockCrawler suggested, or at the bed, keeping the trailer smaller? I'm not sure how I'm going to chop my postal jeep yet.

RE: The Cliffs???

That's pretty cool. Sure gives me lots of ideas too...cinsidering I know of a couple wrecked Jeeps that could work good as a trailer!!

RE: Re: RE: Rear Brakes Leaking

You know, if your jeep is lifted, you HAVE to lift the trailer too... one of the unwritten laws.

RE: Political differences aside...

Yeah I am planning on running 2 inch springs and some shackles. I only have like 4 in of lift on my Jeep right now but the Trailer will have like a 3 in lift. I am going to put matching wheels/tires and spare on it.

RE: Windshield Woes

Saw it off with a Sawzall right behind the doors.
Use an acetylene torch to heat the all sides of the frame rail below where you cut it off. Get your buddy to stick a long pipe in the end of the frame rail you are heating and have him try to bend it toward the center. If you get it hot enough it should bend pretty easily. Do the same thing for the other side then you will have your trailer tongue. Weld on whatever style hitch you want and reinforce the bends you made with some plating.
All that's left after that would be the wall for the front side. I would look for some rear corners and a Junkyard tailgate then you have a tailgate on both ends.

Back