Rear Receiver for TJ

LadyJeepFreak

RE: What I Want...

Heya everyone,

I have an 03 TJ of course. I never got to modding the rear bumper. I'd like to have a receiver put on it but don't know where to start. I'd really like to not have to buy a rear bumper, due to costs.

Can I buy a receiver to put on my stock bumper? I know I can buy the hitches at the local tractor store but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thanks for any advise you can give me!
Heather

Yeah, Lady, you might consider just installing a trailer hitch. That's what I did - somewhere around $100 installed. Mine's a "Draw Tight" (I think), Class III. It still has more ground clearance than the gas tank and I still have that ugly-arse stock rear bumper. I lost my rear tow hook with the install, but now I've got a receiver hitch which doubles as a tow point. Plus I can haul my little trailer around.

Food for thought,
mud

RE: What I Want...

Mud that is interesting, I will check into it. I didn't know they had different types really. :oops: All I want is to have an old trailer to pull around that I can hold a large cooler on, and things like tents, fold flat chairs, crabbing gear, etc.

We went to the mountains two weeks ago and boy was the jeep loaded. I had the top on because you can't depend on the weather there and it was such a hassle to get the large heavy items out of the back seat. Plus I could have used more space than I found available. lol

Thanks for the tip!
Heather

Gas tank size question answered

I've got a little (4' x 8') "landscaping" trailer......one of the best investments I've ever made ($495). The footprint is exactly the same as my little '03 TJ - when I look in the mirrors, the trailer tires are tracking exactly where my mudders are tracking! I haul trash, firewood, furniture, camping stuff, etc....you name it!! All with my little 4banger. More food for thought. Don't know about the "approach angles" and such, but I figure I'll just drag it (have done it a couple of times) if the angles aren't right!! :lol: Wanted to buy an old Willys truck, but got to thinking about maintenance, title, licensing, taxes (real bad here in NC), insurance.......etc. - trailer was the way to go!!! AND....I always have that receiver tow point should I need it!!!! Probably got the hitch and trailer for 'bout what I'd pay for a "stylin'" rear bumper.

I have a Hidden Hitch class 3 receiver and it's great! I pull an 8'+ trailer made from an old Chevy truck bed. Lost my hook too, but after seeing some of the vehicles I've pulled out with the hitch point I don't think the stock hook would've held up. Plus, it is a little bit higher than the gas tank and in my opinion a lot sturdier than the stock bumper. That's usually my guide when I'm about to crash the bumper on something. It's worth the money as far as I'm concerned. However, if you ever do want to spend money on a aftermarket bumper it'll be a little more tough since most of the ones I've looked at incorporate a receiver that may interfere with the other.

Mud 4x8 would be perfect. Trash is the other thing I want to haul, and sticks/trees stuff like that. How did you trailer receiver hook to the rear bumper? You had someone install it for you? P.S. what's a 4.8 trailer run ya in cost?

Thanks for the comments!

FSJ REAR DANA 44 BRAKES ASSY PIC ?

LadyJeepFreak said:
Mud 4x8 would be perfect. Trash is the other thing I want to haul, and sticks/trees stuff like that. How did you trailer receiver hook to the rear bumper? You had someone install it for you? P.S. what's a 4.8 trailer run ya in cost?

Thanks for the comments!

Yeah, Lady, I had it installed for me at a trailer place over in Fletcher, NC. It's actually totally independent of the rear bumper - mounts to the frame up underneath. My little 4x8 (metal mesh floor) cost me $495 at a local place. I've seen similar ones at Lowe's and Northern Tools, but they were a bit more. You won't believe how handy they are 'til you get one!

Get the class III receiver. you will be thankful. Anyone can install one, it uses the gas tank skid plate mount bolts. 1/2 hour with a friend and a wrench and you can have it installed.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into all this! Mud I sped read your note and missed the trailer price right off the bat! lol Ty for posting it again. DUAH!

Lady

RE: Re: RE: Gas tank size question answered

Try Creighton Trailer Sales on Route 50 in Mardela Springs (410) 376-3169

That's where my brother got his landscaping trailer for his lawn care business (also doubles as my Jeep transport trailer)

Beam me Up, Scotty.....

Thanks Dave. I know that place but hadn't thought of it, never having purchased one before. Appreciate it!~

Lady

Back