Another strange rattle

sjo426

ok i just got home...

I have a 78 CJ7 with a 304 and T150 Transmission. I have replaced the frame and body tub. After all of that when I start it there is a horrible rattle when I start the Jeep. It only happens for a second or so. I originally thought it was the starter (although only 2 months old) but it only does it when it actually cranks, not when it is trying to start. It definitely sounds like it is coming from the bell housing area. I am at a loss and would love any opinions. By the way the clutch was redone in Feb of this year.
Thanks

RE: Name THIS one

Ha! I have a 79 that I just replaced the frame and body on and had terrible vibrations. Mine is an auto though, and it turned out that the torque converter had come a little loose. Obviously not your problem. I'm not sure if you have an inspection cover you can take off on yours, but I did and it helped alot. Good luck.

Well I did take off the inspection cover and it still made the awful noise. It only does it when it fires up for about a second or two, not when it is cranking. Then it goes away.

Back