daniel5455 is offline Junior Member

Re: RE: Got nailed with vehicle inspection...need fender fla

Hello everyone

I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with a 4 banger 2.5 L. I wanted to put a 4.0 in there. What do you all think about this? Can it be done?

thanks

yjdave is offline Senior Member

RE: Good online automotive electrical parts store?

sell it and buy a new one w/ 4.0.....
    [IMG]

I have to agree, cost wise you would be money ahead. This would be different if you were rebuilding an old CJ or military one
    Dan & Stephanie
    His & Hers Jeep Wranglers \'95 YJ/\'99 TJ

Junkpile is offline Senior Member

Re: RE: What I

While I'm a really big fan of the I6(or L6 if you're one of "those" guys ), I would have to agree with the others and suggest that you either build the Jeep to utilize the 2.5l better, or go ahead and swap in a V8. If I had a complete 4.0 setup and a 2.5l YJ sitting around, I'd do the swap myself.....but if you're starting from scratch on a swap, there are better candidates from a power per dollar standpoint.

Snitty is offline Senior Member
    Gonna have to agree
    93 YJ 4.0
    Spring Over, 33x12.50 Mastercraft Courser M/T, High Flow Exhaust, Diamondplate Rear Bumper, Trimmed Flares, 6\" spotters

We, the Sovereign People of the Universe, wish to live in peace. We live among you, but we are not of you.

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator

RE: 4.0 Throttle Body

Don't do it, not for just another run of the mill 4.0L jeep. You'll have just another 4.0L with a more hacked up install job. Buy a 4.0L jeep, or swap in a 4.3L v6 or 5.7L v8.

daniel5455 is offline Junior Member

RE: Throttle body help

thanks for all the replies,

I bought my jeep for 6k and it only has 54k miles on it. How much do you think its worth. I have a rubicon buget lift and new rims with 31 " tires. I only had the truck for less than a year. Its in good shape no rust or damage. What would it cost about to put a new engine in it, compared to buying a new one.

thanks

dingus is offline Senior Member

RE: Back to Jeepin again, have a question.

i saw a 4.0 in the classifieds here for $250, then if you can install it yourself and do all the necessary fab-work (if at all, you'll at least need a different fan shroud, possibly not be able to use AC, dunno... likely need proper computer and wiring

Wolfsmate79 is offline Member
    yeah it is defiately not going to be cheap. You will have to make sure the 4.0 is for the same year series as yours and you will have to replace it all, drive shafts, radiator, wiring harness, computer, mostly likely the fuel tank and sending units. Have done several of them and they can be tricky. Everything is electronic and computerized so its not as simple as just putting in a motor. Just did a 97 4.0 swap to a 2004 4.0 for a guy and had to swap everything all the wiring in whole jeep, radiator, fuel system, dash, you name it!
    99 Wrangler TJ.....Built to Rock Krawl

Quote Originally Posted by daniel5455
    thanks for all the replies,

I bought my jeep for 6k and it only has 54k miles on it. How much do you think its worth. I have a rubicon buget lift and new rims with 31 " tires. I only had the truck for less than a year. Its in good shape no rust or damage. What would it cost about to put a new engine in it, compared to buying a new one.

thanks
    We got our '99 for $7800 and stole it, it had roughly the same miles
    4cyl
    automatic
    soft top & 1/2 doors
    30's

The engine swap would be a pain, I'm sure you could sell that one if you really wanted too & get a decent price. The choice is still up to you but I sure wouldn't want to mess with it, new harness, mounts, transmission, etc, yadda yadda
    Dan & Stephanie
    His & Hers Jeep Wranglers \'95 YJ/\'99 TJ