reciever mount winch or standard mounted winch?

hoobness

I like the portability, F & R accesibility, and non-permanent mounting of receiver mounted winches.

IM not sure about the strength of the attachment though- being the winch is only attached to the vehicle as strong as the reciever is attached to the jeep... Is that something I should even consider?

Also is it sometimes more of a pain in the arse to use it if you are stuck deep in mud or at weird angles... ??

Looking to buy a winch, and how I want to mount it is important...

RE: 87 Cherokee won

Keep in mind most receivers are rated for at least 5000lb (front are 9000lb) line pull in a straight line. At least as much as a bumper mount. The only real drawback that I see is that the winch will stick out further and be lower - easier to hang up on. I know.. you can say "I'll carry it in back till I need it" but try to install it in a mud pit... not a good idea, so you'll leave it in the front receiver. Winches are always harder to use at an angle. Thats why you should carry straps/cables to extend the winch line straight out if you are stuck.

RE: YJ STUFF

if i were stuck head in or in such a way that a front mounted winch is no use, can a set of pulleys and or trees hep me out?

Have you ever picked up a winch? Do it once and you won't want to be lugging that thing around.

Receiver mounts are very poor for anything but a dead straight-on pull, any amount of side-pull puts a ton of sideways leverage on the receiver, something they're not really designed for.

The need for a winch in the back is a lot less than you would think. Not to mention the major decrease in approach and departure angles when the winch is in place.

RE: AMC V-8 Dist Drive Gear

hoobness said:
if i were stuck head in or in such a way that a front mounted winch is no use, can a set of pulleys and or trees hep me out?

That's why you have a friend and a snatch strap.....

Bounty__Hunter said:
Have you ever picked up a winch? Do it once and you won't want to be lugging that thing around.

Receiver mounts are very poor for anything but a dead straight-on pull, any amount of side-pull puts a ton of sideways leverage on the receiver, something they're not really designed for.

The need for a winch in the back is a lot less than you would think. Not to mention the major decrease in approach and departure angles when the winch is in place.

I agree. Front mount atop (or inside) the bumper all the way and don't think twice about it. It's not worth the loss of ground clearance for the possibility there may be a use for it in the rear.

I'm pretty confident my front receiver is stronger than any tow hook (being mounted on both sides of the frame with 6 bolts), but pretty much all recovery points are meant for pulling straight on. I guess the effectiveness of a receiver depends greatly on how it is mounted.

Back