Differences between an 87 and an 88

MikeB

RE: Factory Goodyear Wrangler Tires on Rubicon

i was looking at a yj the other day because i need a frame for my 87, the guy told me it was an 87 but there were subtle differences that led me to believe that it might be a different year. For example, the seats were different, and the glove box has a jeep label on it, those were just some of the things i noticed. i was just wondering if there are any little differences that will tell me if it is possibly an 88, i know that the only major difference between the 87's and 88's are the transmission and transfercase, but i wont be able to tell until i bring it home and start tearing it apart, by the way, they both have a 4.2 under the hood.

RE: Factory Goodyear Wrangler Tires on Rubicon

run the VIN's

My YJ's registration says that it's an 87. However, it does have an NP231, the imported starter, the jeep badge on the glovebox and everything else points to it being an 88. The starter in the 88-90 is smaller than the starter from the 87. You should also be able to tell from the badge on the transfer case - if it's an NP231 then you have an 88. Does it really matter if you're just using the frame? Shouldnt it be the same frame for all the YJs?

RE: What to coat frame with: undercoating vs. bed liner

All the yj frames are the same 87-95. Infact everything except the mtr/transmission combos of the late 80s are the same.(except the 207 t/c in 87)

the only reason im wondering if it is an 88 is because of the transmission and transfercase, ive heard that the transmission/transfercase in the 87's werent as tough. so if it is an 88, im just going to stick with that drivetrain.

RE: engine rebuild questions @ 220k - 4.0 HO (94 XJ)

you should be able to determine which transfer case it has pretty easily: just crawl under the jeep and look at the metal tag riveted to the back of the case. It will say "New Process - Syracuse, NY" and in the center it will be stamped with a number - if it's an 88 it'll have the 231 instead of the 207 that came with the 87.

RE: Florida Jeepers

Look at the Tcase tag like n0madic said. Also, look at the transmission body. If it's bolted together lengthwise, it's the Peugeot. Unless the previous owner swapped in a newer transmission, that's what you have anyway no matter which year it is. That also makes the Tcase a 21 spline input box instead of a 23 spline.

Back