98 Wrangler sputters on highway

bronco87

I recently purchased a 98 Wrangler Sport (68K miles) and was driving it from Texas to California. Along the way I had this problem about 6 different times: going at about 70 mph all of the sudden the engine sputters and I have no acceleration. I pull off onto the shoulder and try to give it gas and it acts like its flooding (note: It does not die completely). If I shut it off for a few minutes and restart, things are good again for awhile. This has happend at various fuel levels, on both flat and hilly terrain, and at various times, however all after running for over an hour. I have read numerous suggestions for a fix ranging from O2 sensors to PCM to catalytic converter, etc. I had this same problem with an 88 Wrangler I had many years ago, but I don't remember what the fix finally was (after 4 visits to the dealer). Does anyone out there have a good strategy I can use to get this taken care of without breaking the bank???
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i had a similar problem. it was the cat...not positive thats what it was on yours, but my cat was all broken up inside, and sometimes it would disrupt the flow and cause to much back-pressure which is what was making it sputter like that, i figured it out after i noticed it did it more often after i went over some bumps[addsig]

I´ve had the same thing happen on occasion over the years, at higher speeds it´s sometimes a fuel problem, change the filter it´s cheap insurance and easy to do. Another thing, is at change of season, I´ve sometimes filled up with a load of bad fuel (to much moisture) a bottle of gas tank anti-freeze or carb. & injector cleaner, sometimes helped. Caught on to the bad fuel thing, by noticing the engine ran better or worse depending on which gas station I tanked up at. Gas stations get different gas in the winter (with an additive) to help deal with condensation. Could be your running summer gas. Something easy to look at and deal with. On an older model, with the mechanical fuel pump, I´d say your fuel pump was going out. But the electric fuel pumps mostly work or they don´t. First check the filter.[addsig]

Is the check engine light coming on?

I had this happen on an '88, it was the catalytic converter becoming clogged. As it heats up and expands, it chokes the engine to the point it almost dies. Runs better after it cools down. It gradually becomes more clogged to the point that each time it causes problems, the hesitation and stalling gets worse than previous times.

The dealership should replace your cat for free if it's under the 80,000 mile federal emissions warranty.[addsig]

No, the check engine light isn't on. As required, I went and had it smogged today (CA).

ALL of the emissions results were zero. Does this rule out the clogged catalytic converter theory, or would the low emissions readings be the result of restricted airflow through the converter?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

you might want to ensure your gas fumes are recicing back to the tank properly as this can cause erractic problems when the engine is hot after running a while the next time it acts up remove the gas cap if it runs better you have a problem with a clogged line or filter under the hood, another thing to look, the fuel filter, if that doesnt fix it your probably looking at a new cataletic converter. [addsig]

I did remove the fuel cap while pulled over on the shoulder two of those times, and alas, everything was ok. I don't know why I thought of this....must have been flashback to the 88 Wrangler. I'll take a look at everything under the hood and let you know if I find anything. thanks for the advice.

Jeepin in the hi-desert.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Had the same problem with my '98 wrangler, turned out to be the 02 analyser, cost £170 for parts and labour at the local jeep garage[addsig]

I had the same symptoms, but different cause. The neck of the fuel pump (inside the fuel assembly) had cracked

off. The only reason gas was getting to the engine was that the neck (inside the fuel line) was pressed against

the fuel pump. When the gas would slosh around, the fuel line and fuel pump would flex a little and open a crack

where it was pressed together. So basically the fuel pressure would drop temporarily when the gas sloshed.

Anyway, the solution was to buy *just* the fuel pump (Napa had it for my 97). Drop the tank, pull the fuel pump

assembly (sending unit, filter, pump, etc) take it apart and drop in the new pump. Reassemble. Buying just the

pump saved a bunch of cash.

This most likely isn't what happened to you. The symptoms are the same, but mine was broken during a bad

install by someone suffering from cranial-rectal inversion. However, on the off chance you were working on the

fuel pump system, this could be it.

Cooper.[addsig]

Clogged cats happen very often in 97-98 wranglers. My cousins

did it with about 50,000 miles on it. With low emitions it sounds

like that; however, ive had a different throttle problem on my

first tj that has also haunted my second one. Throttle position

sensor. On my 97 the motor would kill out anytime I pushed the

clutch and the check engine light never turned on. my 2001 did

it the opposite way by idling to high. Anyway its $70 and i have

heard from several people that burn out often. [addsig]

Back