Quick U Joint Question

Avs_Fan

RE: Freind

For those of you keeping track, I am finally in the process of replacing my U joints after all of my questions. Actually found that my old rear driveshaft was too short and needs to be rebuilt anyway. I am replacing both yolks on the rear driveshaft as well as the ones at the pinion and transfer case. Now I am replacing the front drive shaft U joints, the yolks are fine. I have installed the first one in the drive shaft and it seems pretty tight, meaning not very easy to swivel like it is supposed to. Is that normal with new U joints, do they have to kind of break in? I would think that they would, but just want to make sure I have the right one, and did not cram one that is slightly too long into a shorter hole. Thank you in advance for your responses.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it turns smoothly. How hard is it to turn by hand? Is it like a face turning red type deal, or is it just a little tighter feeling than before?

Why did you go ahead and swap the rear yokes? Are you putting the U-bolt style on it, so you don't have to deal with the straps anymore?

If the ujoint is hard to swivel after installation, you need to hammer outward on the ears of the ujoint yoke to slightly open it up and get the ujoint to swivel easily. Otherwise you'll quickly trash the joint.

RE: Re: RE: Fantasy Football Time!!

I've experienced what bounty mentioned. It is good to have the joints moving pretty much freely. Though a little resistance isn't bad as long as it is smooth, with no gritty feeling

Junk, Upon further review the old yolks were kind of sloppy and while I have everything apart I figured I would just do it. One of them was really worn, I just didn't look close enough at first. I understand what all of you are saying about "spreading" the yolk after installing a new U joint. It was not super tight, but considerably more than an old one. It feels smooth, just tight is all. I will try tapping on them with a hammer and see if they loosen up but that would make sense. Thank you again for all of the help, you all have been very helpful. Hopefully someday I can return the favor, based on experience that may be a while.

return the favor? you never know... we all have experiences that are different - thats the great thing about this site... we all have different styles and situations and result in experiences shared that are always helpful....for example - you probably know more about problems with driveshafts/u-joints on jeeps than i do now...

Back