Fluid Change/Transmission & Diffs?

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: mandatory reading

The YJ is pushing up close to the 85,000 mile mark, and I'm wondering if any of the transmission or diff fluid has ever been changed. Certainly hasn't been in the 30,000 that I've driven it. Anyway, I was wondering what all you suggest as far as type of oil to use. Secondly, being a novice mechanic (oil changes all my life, small stuff like starters, alternators, etc.), what does this entail? What tools/supplies will I need to "git-r-done"?

By all means do NOT use GL5 in the transmission. FOr the AX5 you should go with a synthetic like Pennzoil Synchomesh, Redline MT90, or Royal Purple . If you want to use regular old organic oil then it really takes GL3 which you may only be able to find at the dealer.

Sythetic in the transmission is a good thing. It won't do anything but help.

For the diffs, I won't mess with Synthetic. It's too easy to get water in there and then all that pricey stuff has gone to waste. Besides, you should be changing diff fluid frequently enough that you never really see the benefits of synthetic for that application.

Sythetics in the differentials may reduce their resistance a bit, which could help with fuel economy, albeit not much but hey every little bit helps these days. I suppose if youre planning on going through water and need to change it in the near future then maybe it would not be very cost-effective like Junk suggested.

Back