CJ7 trac bar fab

GaryMB

RE: Differential Whining?

Someone said that I will need a trac bar in my CJ b/c of the dana 44's, 35's and 4.5" sua. Any ideas on fabbing something up that won't limit articulation, and are there any precautions I'll need to consider?

body mounts

I have an 85 cj7 with 4 superlift and half in daystar shackle. Granted I don't have a dana 44s but I don't see why you would have to have a trac bar. I had thought that I needed to fab a trac bar because of the terrible wandering and bumster but turned out to be the a tie rod that was looking up.
If you still deside to fab a track bar you can always cut the mounts off a yj and weld them on and buy one of the one nut long travel trac bars so when you go off road looosen it and tighten it back up to go back on the road

You don't 'have' to have a trackbar. I wouldn't worry about it with an open rear differential. Add a locking diff to the rear and I'd consider a front track bar to limit how much the steering pushes the front axle sideways.

A shackle reversal in the front would also negate any need for a front track bar.

The rear will have an ARB, so it will be unlocked on the street. I will be running a shackle reversal. The way I see it, I don't even need to have a sway bar. That's how I had been driving my CJ around before the resto started. Driving on the freeway and curvy mountain roads scared the crap out of me and the passengers, though. The thing is, this is gonna be a dd and ww. I would like to make the Jeep as street-friendly as possible; unless it will limit articulation, or a trac bar really won't do enough to justify putting in the $$ and time, I'd like to have one.

The rear will have an ARB, so it will be unlocked on the street. I will be running a shackle reversal. The way I see it, I don't even need to have a sway bar. That's how I had been driving my CJ around before the resto started. Driving on the freeway and curvy mountain roads scared the crap out of me and the passengers, though. The thing is, this is gonna be a dd and ww. I would like to make the Jeep as street-friendly as possible; unless it will limit articulation, or a trac bar really won't do enough to justify putting in the $$ and time, I'd like to have one. One thing that has me leaning toward a trac bar is the fact that the stock yj's came with them, and I'm sure Jeep put trac bars on them for a reason. So...? Anybody have experience with how trac bars affect handling in sua lifted Jeeps with big meats?

I've run with and without a front track bar on my SUA YJ, I'll definately keep it as the rear diff is welded which makes the jeep want to go straight regardless of steering input.

I think you'll be wasting your time installing a front track bar since you will be running a shackle reversal. During forward movement, the axle will track straight behind the solid spring hangers. The trackbar is of no benefit there. Now if the axle were to track behind shackles, the shackles allow side-to-side movement to be introduced to the front axle, not to mention allowing the steering to push the front axle sideways.

Also the wider YJ springs on a CJ will help. They are much more stable than those skinny CJ front springs.

One more thing, I wouldn't put a trac bar or sway bar on there until you have driven it. I never ran either on my CJ from day one and didn't have any problems. I also ran RS9000 adjustable shocks which may have helped some in the body roll (lack of sway bar) department.

Back