3" Rough Country Sus Lift for YJ good/bad?

rtoney9

I found a 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift for my 95 YJ at a very good price. 384.00. Is this a good lift or not? [addsig]

have a link? what does it include? is it add-a-leaf or new spring packs? new struts? also consider shipping (mine was 150 bucks!)[addsig]

i put that 3" on my 92 wrangler a couple months ago, along with 2inch body,

it came with everything i needed (4 springs, 4 shocks, brake line relocating brackets, drop pitman arm, u bolts, transfer case drop, and front and rear track bar bracket things-trash the rear track bar, and bump stop extensions-trash those too), it was easy to install-i put it on with my friend over the weekend + 2 days and we didn't even have any experience with that before.

the springs are kinda stiff, but for the price-i'd say its a good lift kit
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 1989YJ I bought new. For several years it was mainly used as a beach cruiser. One day, after experiencing an off-road vacation, I started really looking at what I had.

I noticed the lack of clearance in the fender wells and the odd reverse bend in the leaf springs. I attended several Jeep rallies and club roundups and noticed that these "Serious Jeepers" were all basically using the same spring setup. During the next several off-road runs I watched the performance of these Jeeps and came to the same conclusion, they performed without problems and made it through places I could only hope to go. With that in mind I had only a few other things to look at. How do they perform for a daily driver? What does it take to install? How do they hold up? What is the warranty? And of course how much do they cost? I was presently surprised to find these answers. The spring most everyone was using was Superlift 3 1/2 leaf. One thing I found out was that there is! A difference between the manufactures, quality and life expecentcy. I have now had my Superlift springs with greasable shackles installed for 3 years. A lot of serious rock crawling and many road miles later, I would install these again. One problem friends with other brands have told me is their leaf springs sagged. Unfortunately not always the same and you end up with a crooked Jeep. I mean really crooked. A plus to the Superlift product is they have a history of minimal sagging and if they do they stay level. But the best part is they have a lifetime guarantee. Can't beat that. I had one rear spring sag a little early on and they sent me a new pair. No Charge, Not even shipping. The ride actually improved over stock. I think this had a lot to do with the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks I installed. The 9000’s are worth the money. Adjust the front a little stiffer than the rear, which stops the front end diving during hard stops and your good to go. The installation was pretty straight forward, floor jack, hand tools, and don't forget jack stands. I have been shopping or at least looking for many years through the J.C. Whitney catalog for odds and ends. Keeping in mind the quality of their products (not always the best) I had never considered Leaf springs through them even though the price was low (about $539.00) Here's what I found out. When you order the Superlift package you call J.C. Whitney, order the size you want and hang up. They call Superlift direct and the springs are sent to you from Superlift. You get the same item weather you buy from J.C. or direct from the manufacture just cheaper. The great part is you can deal direct if you have any warranty concerns. Tires were also a factor; I installed Goodyear MTR's. Great traction, great off-road, great ride, great in snow and they have about 30k miles on them and still look great. In conclusion. Don't make the same mistake most all of us Jeepers do. Find the quality lift and the size you ultimately want and install it the first time. Most people either by the cheap lift and end up with sagging problems or lift 1 1/2 then 2 1/2 then 3 1/2 and end up spending way more in the long run with way to much extra work. Save your money and do it right the first time. Install the greasable shackle bolts for improved ride and less noise.

Note: When shopping ask the dealer if the product is theirs? or if they just distribute for others. Most times you can go direct to save money. Have fun and Happy, safe Jeeping.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Note:

Most lift kits are similar (I use that term lightly) but not the same. Price should not be the deciding factor. There is a big difference in the quality of some of the parts, and the amount of extras you need to purchase to complete the install. Just do your homework before you spend the money. It is ultimatly cheaper to do it right the first time. Everybody has an opinion. Use those opinions as information to assist in buying what you want.

Adding a lift takes your Jeep to the next level. And that's a good direction to go, if done right.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back