350 in YJ....what trans?

Brad_Shep

Turn signal flasher - JGC

so was pricing out 5.7L swap. The 4.2L goes with the AX15 but what would go with the 5.7? A friend was telling me of a chevy trans (i think S10 one?) that would bolt right up to it and with drilling 2 extra holes in the skid plate would go right to the transfer case. Anyone know what kind of trans that is and what kind of vehicle (year) of vehicle i can find that in? I think he said 92 and up, but wasnt sure.
Thanks
Shep

RE: Busy Weekend

Chevrolet has(or had) two different V6 configurations. The smaller displacement engines, like the 2.8L used in the early S10s, were 60 degree engines. The 4.3L like you will find in later 4wd S10s have a 90 degree cylinder layout like the V8s. This is the one you need. It will be a 700R4, and it has a low 3.06:1 first gear and overdrive. It's a great transmission, and it should already have a NP231 Tcase hanging on the back of it if it comes from an S10/S15.

You can also easily use a TH350 with an aftermarket adapter to mate it to your Tcase. The TH400 could be an option, but it's mismatched to your Tcase. There's no point in swapping in that monster just to turn around and back it up with the little NP231.

turbo 350 all the way, stronger in stock form than the 700r4 and easier to upgrade with more support. easily adaptable to d300 or np231 and they can be had for relativley cheap. a buddy of mine got a rebuilt turbo 350 ready to bolt up to his dana 300 for 600

RE: yj tj wj xj????

so say i use that 700R4 with my 350 engine. Would my stock transfer case hold it? if not would a TH350 be a good route and easy to come around and are ok priced? i want to try and spend the same money i would to do a 6 cyl swap. i know everything is realistic, as long as i find good prices on it. Also, would my stock dana 35 take the 350 and 700R4 for a little bit until i could put a dana 44 in it? How about that turbo 350, would that be a better choice ya'll think? I was also looking at getting a 95 or earlier 4.7L grand cherokee engine with the OBD1 comp. in it so i dont have to deal with all the sensors that the OBD2 has, Would this be a better route for me? With this could i still use the 700R4 or is there a way that a AX15 will with hold it? trying to find a route to go, 4.2L converted to fuel injection or some kind of V8. Would liek to get all stuff put together so i can put it all in this spring/summer. If it matters any, i use this as my everday driver, my wrangler has NEVER been off road, but when i put one of these engine set ups i would like to do the occasional off road trip. My suspen. set up will be 4 inch suspen lift w/with spring over kit and would liek to run around 38 inch tires. I will be taking a leaf or two because off out foe center of gravity. I know i have to swap my axles out to AT LEAST a dana 44. Hope that helps in some sort of opinion direction.

Thanks a shit load
Shep

Your putting 350 in with 4" spring over with 38s and d44s as a daily driver with the occasional wheelin trip?????Thats a shame,as my wife would say "that jeep will never have the childhood that it should"It'll be a nice rig though good luck

RE: Emmissions for a V8ed CJ

The 700R4s got a bad reputation because they were fairly unreliable the first few years they were made. Alot of guys also burn them up trying to tow heavy loads in OD, which isn't a good idea unless you have really low axle gearing. A TH350 is stronger in factory form when compared to the 700R4. The thing is, a 700R4 is going to hold up fine behind 350hp ....and well, improvements aren't hard. The 700R4 has a 3.06:1 first gear and it has the overdrive. The first gear in a TH350 is like 2.48:1 and top gear is a 1:1. With the 700R4, you get better low range gearing AND better highway gearing when compared to a TH350.

There is a guy that lives one street over from me that has a 350 in his YJ. It was originally a 2.5L. He bought an adapter for the Tcase and installed a 350/TH350 combo and is having alot of fun with it. If he ever gets into heavy offroading he will no doubt have to upgrade axles, but for now he's having fun with a nice little V8 powered Jeep. It's not going to automatically start blowing axles apart as soon as you swap in the engine, you just have to drive it accordingly until you can get the other stuff done.

The 4.7L wasn't available in pre-OBD II was it? A V8 powered 95 ZJ would have the 5.2L.

As far as using the S10 transmission with the Jeep NP231, I'm sure it would bolt up but I'm not sure about spline count and clocking. I've heard it's easier to just use the S10 Tcase, but I don't know why and I have no experience with the swap.

This isn't about your transmission question, but I would recommend going with full-width truck axles, with a dana 60 in the rear, to keep from flipping when pulling into a parking space and braking axles when stuck in traffic :lol: For motors, instead of considering a fuel injected 4.2L and V8, I would suggest considering a 4.0L and a V8. Also a good traction bar would be in order. Removing leafs from the springs usually makes the vehicle alot more unsafe than it was when it was higher up...a better way to lower the center of gravity would be to use smaller springs (3.5", 3", 2.5", 1.5").

trans and shifter questions

Yeah, my buddy said he was thinking of redoing his Jtruck and i was going to buy his Dana 44 front and his Dana 60 rear and put that in. We are also taking a spring or two out to lower it a bit because my center of gravity would be pretty high if i didnt.

Junkpile- I thought early grands (pre 95) had the OBDI in them but i could be wrong. the 93 woodies i thought had em too.

junkpile - talking to a buddy of mine.......Think a 350 bolted up to a 700R4 from newer model S10 with and advance adapter to my NP231 would work with my dana 35 for a time being until i get that 44 or 60 in the rear a few months after the swap? I know i wont goose it or anything to blow it up, but if i stay respectable RPM's would i be ok. Sorry for all the questions, new to the stuff kind of!

Thers a guy here that has a 350or360 not sure runs d30 d35 until he gets his new 44s and 8.8.He wheels it hard,so you should be fine for awhile.

I have to ask you said you don't wheel it then why all the mods for the street?Is it going to be a show jeep?

CJ 5 vacuum diagram need help

If you're going with 38's, you'll need at least a D60 in the rear. A D44 might be alright in the front, but you'll most likely need some chromo shafts and pretty tough gears...if not a 60

joedirt - yeah its pretty much going to be one. I know it might sound crazy, but its like when i need it, it will be there ya know. I get shit from my friends about that and i built up GT to a cobra with some goodies and i have never ran it, but when a lil ricer comes up to me, i am confident i will blow its doors off(that is 85% of them, some do getup and go!) My jeep when its done probably wont be an everyday driver. Probably buy a little honda or a F350 at that point.

88wrangles - yeah i am really wanting to get my buddies 60 to put in the rear and 44 in the front from his J truck. Figure a little widder cant hurt anything

RE: 1999 Sahara Soft top windows WANTED

Brad_Shep said:
Figure a little widder cant hurt anything

With 9" of lift and 38" tires, you need the axles to be as wide as they come

RE: high cost of heat this winter

well ya'll thought id let you know the V8 swap wont be happening to THIS jeep. Im still in college and after looking at the adapters......have to wait. My dad wants a V8 YJ so i do think it will happen, but a yer or so down. Thanks for all the posts and stuff, i have learned alot from it and will keep all the info for when the time comes. This is what i will be running...4.2L with 4.0L head/intake/throttle body for FI, a AX15 trans and the NP231 out of a 4.0L. Dana 60 rear and 44 front running 38-40 inch tires along with a 1 inch body lift/engine lift. it should be a big rig which is what i am shooting for. I will post pics once i am done.
thanks again
Shep

Back