power steering conversion

monkeyman

This month I will be converting my 79 CJ to power steering. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about where to find the parts? I have located a pump bracket but need everything else.
Thanks for the Beta.

something i know absolutely nothing about.....

id start at a wrecking yard, for sure your gonna need a pump and belt. not sure of the your particular set up pulley wise. do you have an extra groove for another belt to run the pump? or will you be able to pirate off an exsting pulley.

will prob need a new rack for the hydraulic fittings from the pump.

unless its a power assist kinda set up where theres a hyd. cyl. piggybacking the rack (tractor/const. equip style)

like i said i dont know shiz when it comes to powersteering.

hit a local jeep yard up bring your moving blanket crawl under some rigs that havent been part raped too bad and study.

hope i at least provoked some thought.

im sure someone here knows better.

I can tell you on my 79, the power steering is a pretty simple set up. If you get the stock bracket and pump/reservoir, that should be a snap. Then you will have to swap in the power gear box, and the only question I would have is whether it would bolt up directly to your current steering shaft.

You will neet a pump, power steering box, new pitman arm, hoses, and a new end to your shaft. I got most of the setup from a guy that sells them complete off of used jeeps. It was easy to install. One of the best mods I have done. You can use the same shaft but the bell at the end needs to be changed. I can not remember what it is called. Also were the pitman arm mounts to the box is a differant size. I ended up with a bad pump and box the first time so I did the swat 2 times bassically.

Back