anybody want to make a beast?

dyemanern

hey I got an 84' cj7 and it's all stock except the valve cover, new oem carter carb, axles and clutch are new. anyways I will be rebuilding this jeep completley over and I want to know what you guys suggest putting on it to make it fast. this jeep is not going to be off road fast I want it to compete with ricers (honda civics) etc its gonna be a sleeper. anyways Im basically asking what you guys would put in/on it to make it roar.

speed is directly proportional to $$$. If you want to beat the local rice rockets, you are going to need a lot of h.p. just to overcome the weight and front surface area of a civic. Id say at least 35-400Hp to beat out a mildly tuned civic or lancer. The next problem is finding an engine trans combo that is strong enough for the weight but geared for the speed. You are asking a lot to get a truck to race a car successfully.

personally, i dont like ricers, actually i hate the damn things. I think it would be a waste to build a jeep that will never see anything but pavement. there not made for speed, if you wanted to get any major speed you'd have to scrap the whole drivetrain, plus youd never be able to get it to handle like a ricer unless you lowed it and that is the 1 modification that should never be done to any Jeep, not even a liberty...lol. But on the other hand it would be pretty cool to see the look on a ricers face after he just beat by a jeep

Unless you're swimming in cash I'd suggest buying a car and putting a Jeep sticker on it. It's going to be really hard to make a Jeep a sleeper (besides the mechanical and financial side), there will be too many tells, especially when it's running.

If you want a real sleeper buy a t-bird supercoupe or a mid-60's plymouth, you'll save a ton of cash and have something that someone else would buy if you ever need to sell it.

Plus beating a ricer in a race is like beating your retarded cousin at checkers, once its over the novelty quickly wears off and then you just feel sorry for them.

Ooooh, Junkpile is gonna like this guy!!!

So, which engine is in it? You planning on staying with the stock motor?

TwistedCopper said:
Ooooh, Junkpile is gonna like this guy!!!...................

That's exactly what I was thinking. Haven't heard from ol' Junk in a little while :? and I'm headed over his way this weekend (well....close....the Outer Banks). Wonder what's up? :???: :???:

wadesbrain said:
speed is directly proportional to $$$. If you want to beat the local rice rockets, you are going to need a lot of h.p. just to overcome the weight and front surface area of a civic. Id say at least 35-400Hp to beat out a mildly tuned civic or lancer. The next problem is finding an engine trans combo that is strong enough for the weight but geared for the speed. You are asking a lot to get a truck to race a car successfully.

This is right and wrong for a few reasons. Before my jeep, i was really into the streetracing scene. First off a Civic and a Lancer are in to TOTALLY different catagorys. (sp) Your average ricer civic has intake and exhaust and never pops his hood because he/she doesnt want people to know that is all he has. Your lookin at a 16 sec car, Period! It takes ALOT for hondas to get fast. Now on the other hand, the Lancer Evo has the 4G63T motor platform. Stock for stock, its hauls ass. I know these motors REALLY well as my last 5 cars were DSMs. Which has the same motor for the most part.

I dont know what a jeep runs stock however if you did a 350 swap or something equaling this, and a decent transmission. Even the 700R4 stock would be a decent transmission. This alone in a jeep should walk all over ricers. In my old firebird (92 Formula) i raced a toyota pickup that had 33in tires and a 350. Just MIDLY built and i just BARLEY beat him. That was a high 13 sec car. It really wouldnt be hard.

I also agree that Jeeps are NOT for that. However it is yours and you'd be the one driving it. If thats what you want then go for it. Ill help you when/if i can.

i turn circles around most ricers in my dads truck, even when it didnt have the edge tuner, it still blew diesel smoke in their windows before they knew what the heck happened. viper v10, crate 454 or 502, and a turbo350 built by b&m and you should be good to go, i think itd be sick, but have fun making it a sleeper. a 5.0 out of late model mustang has posibility, and could be kept ever so quiet.

buy yourself a 5.9 limited (98 ZJ). those are quite fast, i have a 96 ZJ 5.2 and its quick enough for me.

or if you have 40k sitting around, buy one of those new grand cherokee SRT8's. the reviews on those things are off the charts.

Beat ricers? Sounds like you have the wrong car. My CJ is for driving slow! In fact my bicycle is faster off the line. I like spanking stupid little ricers in my very fast hopped up Volvo V70 Wagon. Keep the jeep on the dirt bro….

I'd say the easiest way would be to find a newer wrecked corvette with the motor and transmission in good shape. Drop that in and you should be good to go.

An 84 CJ? 258?

What you're proposing isn't hard at all. I don't have time to go through a big old post right now(like I want to), but I'll get back to you.

As most here have said its going to cost money...well since you have some to blow...

Buy a 502 crate motor from Chevy, factory numbers are around 400-500 horse.
Add a Whipple or Wieland super charger.
for your transmission we recommend a 4L80 or a power power glide with custom gearing, because its a short transmission and will fit into a CJ frame.
As to the axle your going to have to upgrade to a Dana 60 or a ford nine inch with 3:73's.
Do note your going to have to add some sort of traction device, track bars.
Buy hey thats my suggestion, oh and hold onto your arse because your going to be blowing about 6-7 hundred horse out of it and will take just about anything out.

P.S. and for real fun...add a 20lb bottle of Nos.

I smoked a ricer today in my work van!!! I drive a '98 Chevy 3/4 ton cargo van with a 5.7 Vortec engine. This scuzball ricer dude with a gazillion stickers, yellow doors, blue hood, red/primer body, and white air dams kept revving his fartcan and looking at me like he was a badarse. I punched it at the light just to get him going, and next thing I know, he's half a car length behind me as I'm flying through 50 mph on my way to 60mph!!! He was obviously giving it all it had, as evidenced by the bluish gray smoke rolling from the folger's can duct taped to his rear bumper and the way the 6 foot wide plastic wing was shaking on the dented up trunk hood!! I shut it down at 65 coming to a light, and he quickly made a right turn to avoid having to stop beside me.....it was freakin' priceless!!!!!

i too hate the ricer.

used to own a tacoma minitruck. ran in the 14's. had an exhaust gate and flame kit to pick the fights. they get mad when you drown out their fart cans and melt their stickers in one rev.

even madder when you kill em on to the next light.

ive taken the I6 as far as i care to. ive realized the pin has been pulled and its just a matter of time before she blows. any more perf. mods. aint gonna help.

ive started ordering parts for a 5.0 swap. going for a one weekend ordeal.

trust me, at this point, im doubting i can pull it off as well. but im damn sure gonna try.

ive never been a torque wheeler myself. all you need is HP to fling mud and booney crash center divides.

Back