Yj to cj conversion

sandertje

Hi there
I am new here my name is Sander and I`m from Holland
my question for you guys is
can I convert a yj chassis(no hardware) to fit al the hardware of a 77cj7
my chassis is in very bad condition and I am offered a yj chassis
so before I trow my money away I`d like to know if it can be done ,without to many difficulties

Greetings Sander

yes, a few of the body mounts on the frame wont mount up with the cj body if your using that, but thats not hard to fix, and if your using a cj body, and yj components you might have some trouble, but should be able to work everything out or vice versa, yj body and cj components.

Hey
thanks for the replies

I`ve already came across some guys who have converted yj body to cj frames ,but never an yj frame with cj body and hardware
yjs are in far better conditions here then the cj and the wet climate doesnt help either!

but if it is possible with some minor adjustments ,replacing some brackets etc
then I will buy the frame and see how it goes from there

I have a 71 cj7 with chevy v8 and 4speed manual
body also needs some tlc but the frame is in bad condition just above the rear axle

Sander

That article is for doing a YJ tub on a CJ frame, but it outlines the differences between the two perfectly.
I have recently put a YJ frame under my 78 CJ7 body. It was not that difficult, but I have a lot of experience and help with fabricating. Plus, it makes a huge difference being in the States with access to lots of parts. The problem you will encounter with doing the YJ frame with CJ components is that the YJ frame is wider in the front and rear. This means that you will have to address the width changes when you re-install your CJ axles. This will be more of a challenge than attaching the body to the frame.
I am running Chevrolet axles and was already running YJ springs. The YJ frame is something like 4" wider in the front than a CJ. This affects not only the mounting of the springs to the axle, but also the motor mounts and probably drag link.
It's going to be a lot of work to do the swap. Unless you can get the YJ frame complete with axles, I would suggest pulling your CJ tub off and repairing the damaged areas of the CJ frame. It will be much easier and less of a headache, especially with the limited amount of Jeep parts available to you.
Where are you in the Netherlands? I spent about 6 months working there back in 1997.

Back