Strange sound in reverse

ahunt01

Hi, I was having fun slowly creeping my jeep onto curves and big snow banks :) when I noticed a funny sound. First off, I have an automatic transmission.

When I drove up onto a curve, stop, and then put it into reverse I notice the the gear shifter doesn't want to shift into reverse, but kinda pushing it hard it goes into reverse and makes a grinding clunkish kind of sound. It's hard to explain. The closest thing I can compare it to, is when you reverse in jeep, and then put it into drive, it kind of makes a similiar sound but louder.

My question is, what is this sound? And, is it bad?

I guess I didn't phrase my problem correctly. It doesn't do it when the front tires are level and on top of the bump. This problem occurs when, normally, the jeep would roll right back down (say, if I'm half-way up a huge snow bank and I stop and try to reverse while I'm half-way up.

check the transmission fluid level, you may be low, and the off-camber angle could have you low on fluid at a critical spot in the transmission..... automatic transmissions are driven entirely by fluid pressure.

Go faster so you don't have to reverse! It sounds like you had it high centered and were putting pressure on the linkage.

Yeah, I noticed when I was half way up it did that, but if I drove all the way up and then put her in reverse then it was fine. Pressure on the linkage...is that bad or what?

take it to the dealer. by the way, your jeep camoflauges well with the grass and bushes :lol:

Back