Drive shaft ext/Slip-yoke eliminator

campingnut1973

I am going to put a 3.5 suspension lift on my 04 Rubi and was wondering if anyone has or do I have to put in a driveshaft externsion and a slip-yoke eliminator on. What are the pros and cons???

I thought the Rubicon came stock with a fixed yoke at the transfer case. If so, then the most you would have to do is have the driveshaft lengthened by a local shop. I would think with a 3.5" lift that you could use the driveshaft without modification. Once you get the lift on, flex the rear all the way out to make sure the shaft still has at least a few inches of spline engagement.

redrooster said:
I thought the Rubicon came stock with a fixed yoke at the transfer case. If so, then the most you would have to do is have the driveshaft lengthened by a local shop. I would think with a 3.5" lift that you could use the driveshaft without modification. Once you get the lift on, flex the rear all the way out to make sure the shaft still has at least a few inches of spline engagement.
No slip yoke on a Rubi. I agree with above, you should be fine at 3.5".

What kit are you going with?

If the kit suggests using a CV joint on your driveshaft (and you don't already have one from the factory) then you may have to swap the transfer case yoke and have a CV joint added to your driveshaft. Put the lift on first, like I said above. Flex it out to make sure you have proper spline engagement. Then drive it. If you get vibrations from the rear end, then you need to install a CV shaft.
Simply put, a CV shaft is two u-joints together on one end of the shaft that allows for a double pivot and more angularity.
image-missing.png

The rear of the Jeep in the picture has 14" of travel, hence the need for a CV.

The pro of getting rid of the slip yolk is strength; plus better ground clearance/break over angle since you won't have to lower your transfer case. The con is about $400 in parts.

You'll be just fine, we installed a RE 4.5" kit on my buddies '05 Rubi (nice working on new parts) and used the stock driveshaft and TC yoke. Once the pinion angle was set correctly he had no vibration.

Back