New to Jeeps

Welcome to the jeep world. I just wanted to add my two cents. It looks from your posts that you might not have picked up the jeep yet. If you haven't, you might be able to get the dealer to swap out the 31" tires for the 30's that your jeep is coming with, and only pay the difference in price.

Your dealer might be willing to add on a lift and bigger tires right now, which would be expensive at dealer rates, but you'd be able to roll the price into the car loan and (I'm guessing here, but I think I'm right) the lift wouldn't affect your warranty.

David said:
Welcome to the jeep world. I just wanted to add my two cents. It looks from your posts that you might not have picked up the jeep yet. If you haven't, you might be able to get the dealer to swap out the 31" tires for the 30's that your jeep is coming with, and only pay the difference in price.

Your dealer might be willing to add on a lift and bigger tires right now, which would be expensive at dealer rates, but you'd be able to roll the price into the car loan and (I'm guessing here, but I think I'm right) the lift wouldn't affect your warranty.

You're correct, I havent picked my Jeep up yet. I had to order it to get what I wanted (I wanted a Sport with a few options, and all they had were a couple SE's, a bunch of X's, and a few Rubicons - dealer said they dont keep Sport's in stock because the X is "pretty much the same thing but cheaper"). So I get to wait 6-8 weeks before I can play.

As for the dealer installed lift, I dont know about just swapping tires, but as far as an actual dealer installed lift, I did see (at a different dealer from where I ended up getting mine) an '06 Wrangler X that had a 4" dealer installed lift. The powertrain warranty was still in tact, but it was made clear on the window sticker that the lift voided the warranty on ALL suspension components. Anyway, I figure since there is such a large aftermarket for Jeeps (especially Wranglers), I'll be able to get a quality kit that will suit my needs when I'm ready for it.

Dealers commonly triple the price of aftermarket parts and labor. I think waiting best for lift kits.

TwistedCopper said:
Dealers commonly triple the price of aftermarket parts and labor. I think waiting best for lift kits.

Yeah, I'd agree. Besides, even though it's a Jeep dealership doesn't mean the mechanics know how to properly install a lift, either. That thought is really scary after working at a dealership and seeing the type of doofus they hire as mechanics.

Speaking of which, have any of you guys ever had experience with Mt. Zion Offroad?? They're a Jeep specialty shop in Dover, PA (just north of York). I've driven by there a couple of times...just wondered if they were a good place for parts/service.

Welcome to Jeepz!

You are going to very much enjoy your new Jeep, I can almost guarantee it... Of course, it's not going to drive like a car, heck, most of my family can't stand riding in mine, and I drive a recently-lifted grocery getter Cherokee :purple:... Off-roading is awesome, remember to stay to posted areas; tearing it up in a golf course or vacant field can be SO tempting, but puts a really bad name on the community... Best thing to remember is to go for it! If you get stuck, so what, you get pulled out, and try again. I know a lot of people who are so afraid of getting stuck; this is what recovery equipment is for. Of course, if it's a 12 foot deep lake, and you try to ford it, even that may be a little over it's limits...

Let us know how you like your 06; I'm seriously considering trying to find one next year when I'm done financing my Cherokee, it could sorely use a couple months off daily driver duty for some work, but t'is my only vehicle... Be sure to post tons of pics, get it muddy, and enjoy it every day :)

I give my condolences as well in advance, that Jeep is going to end up being the most expensive thing you've ever owned, and it only gets worse as time goes on :p

Saurian said:
Welcome to Jeepz!
I give my condolences as well in advance, that Jeep is going to end up being the most expensive thing you've ever owned, and it only gets worse as time goes on :p

It can't be as bad as my 323 GTX! For those who don't know, the 323 GTX was essentially a street-legal rally car sold by Mazda from '86-'94, although it was only available in North America in '88 and '89. It was only sold to the public to meet the production rule in the WRC. Over the course of '88 and '89 when it was available in NA, a total of 1,243 were sold between the US and Canada. It's a 4WD hatchback with a DOHC turbo 4 cylinder. Think of it as a 20 year old Mitsubishi EVO or Subaru WRX STi.

At any rate, being 20 years old and extremely rare, virtually all parts for it have been discontinued by the factory, and aftermarket support is pretty limited. What the dealership can still get is very expensive ($250 for stock shifter cables...yeah.). Plus the car's not the most reliable thing in the world...but when it's 100% healthy and tuned up, and you get on a twisty 2 lane road and let her rip, it's all worth it.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post lots of pics of my Jeep when I get it. I dont know how I'm going to make it another 5-7 weeks!! Until then, if anybody wants to see a couple pictures of my GTX, I can post a couple pictures.

Jason4x4 said:
Speaking of which, have any of you guys ever had experience with Mt. Zion Offroad?? They're a Jeep specialty shop in Dover, PA (just north of York). I've driven by there a couple of times...just wondered if they were a good place for parts/service.
I haven't dealt with them yet, but have been there twice. Once to look at a Jeep for sale (too many miles) then another time for a price quote on gears and lockers. Although I believe they are a relatively new business, they seem to be very knowledgeable and after seeing the two projects they were working on when I stopped in they appear to be well equipped and their work looked to be first rate. I am planning on using them when I do my gears and lockers.

Also in the area is Hoaks 4WD in Wrightsville which is very well established and very knowledgeable (I have bought suspension parts and skid plates from them), and a place in York which I can't remember their name (didn't have much knowledge of the XJ so I avoided them).

Welcome Jason. This is THE place to be for info and everything else Jeep related. I tried out a couple of Jeep sites before this one a couple of years ago....and I can say this one is the best. Good people....helpful....knowledgeable...you name it.
My two cents on your 31" dillema? I bought an '04 Wrangler X with the stock tires 225/75/15's on my X. I thought I'd wear them out and buy some new ones. I was so frustrated with the stock rubber that I bought some 31's (after consulting with the gurus on this site of course) in less than a year. My 6cyl Jeep has a 3.07 rear end gear and I've noticed only a minor change in performance on the road. Off road...I just put it in low range if needed.
I don't have any problems with the 31" tires rubbing but I don't have the heavy duty suspension. BUT... I'm a trail, dunes, and mud runner not a rock crawler...so I may not have experienced the necessary flex to cause rubbing.
Go for the 31's right away. You'll get the best resale on the original tires with them as 99% new. Jeep will look better...you'll be happier... and you gain a sacred 1/2" of ground clearance right away. ENJOY!!!

Well, I'm hoping maybe the slightly larger size will be enough to justify running the factory tires until they wear out. I'd really rather not deal with trying to re-sell the stock tires. Besides, coming from a sport compact background (please dont hate me!) I want to make sure I'm really familiar with the way the Jeep drives/handles before I even think about taking it offroad - so I might as well use up the stock tires and upgrade when I'm ready to go offroad.

Jason4x4 said:
Well, I'm hoping maybe the slightly larger size will be enough to justify running the factory tires until they wear out. I'd really rather not deal with trying to re-sell the stock tires. Besides, coming from a sport compact background (please dont hate me!) I want to make sure I'm really familiar with the way the Jeep drives/handles before I even think about taking it offroad - so I might as well use up the stock tires and upgrade when I'm ready to go offroad.

Smart man....very smart man!!8)

Back