Need timing help

aocpilsener

Oh right here it goes I Just recently bought a 1990 YJ jeep not running. “The guy who I bought it off said He went to start it in the middle of winter didn’t start, so he thought the valves were ceased” But what ever now I am trying to get it going to make sure its good and messed up Be fore I get another motor. Looks like he has had the timing chain cover off the water pump and the cylinder head.

Its getting gas, it pops out the throttle body and back fires when I try to start it so I have suspicion the timing is messed up. First thing I make sure valve timing is all in time, it seems to be using a screw driver down the cylinder and watching the valve spring method. So then I notice that Number one on the distributor is off so I put the piston to tdc and put the distributor to where I think it should be, still popping and back firing out the throttle body. I leave the bolt out and try turning the distributor well stating it nothing so I must not even be close or there something else wrong with it . How do you time a 2.5L engine from the start? Or what do you think it its?

yes i was thinking that, but i was wondering if thre was a certin way like for exapmle, put crank to 14degress and drop dirtubuter in at so and so on

Just pull the distributor, turn it 180 and drop it back in. Turn it to get it running and then set your timing to spec

Or for a faster check of that, rotate all your wires around 3 positions...

Back