ECU flashing + Texas to Washington

jaymz77

I finally finshed my chevy 4.3L swap into my YJ this weekend! I'll post pictures as soon as I figure out the whole HTML thing.:???: Anyway, the engine came out of a wrecked 2000 Chevy Astro van, I haven't cranked it over yet to start it because I have to finish some last minute wiring. My question is, why do ECM/ECUs have to be flashed? If I have all the working sensors for the engine operation how could that confuse the computer? Also does anyone know of a program I can run off of a laptop to program the ECU? My college semester is ending soon, so I have to finish this project and drive my Jeep the 2300 miles from East Texas to Washington state in the next two weeks. It sounds dum driving a freshly swapped Jeep this far, but I am looking forward to it!!!

ps. I wish my Dad had the same enthusiasm about the trip:purple:

Last edited:

Can't help you with your question, but admire your daring! I used to do stupid stuff like that all the time.........................as a matter of fact, I still do!!!! Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. - a note to your Dad from another Dad..................let 'im be!!! It's the only way to learn!!:purple: :purple: :purple:

mud4feet said:
P.S. - a note to your Dad from another Dad..................let 'im be!!! It's the only way to learn!!:purple: :purple: :purple:

That's why I decided to tackle this adventure! I hope I don't sound like a cocky youngster too you older guys but I think a few more gray hairs could do my Dad some good. Hopefully, I don't get myself into trouble along the way (i.e. enigne troubles):-|

If you trip a sensor while installing everything you'll have some bad codes. It really should be checked out and reset after everything is running.

Back