Crooked seats in a 2001 Wrangler

I recently bought a loaded 2001 Sahara and I put about 3500 miles on it. After the initial excitement of the

purchase wore off I noticed that my back and neck hurt everytime I drove it. Whenever I hit a bump I would bounce

out of the seat(and not a off road bump, either). Closer inspection revealed that both front seats were skewed

outward. In other words, when I sat in the seat comfortably(snugly with my back aligned with the centerline of the

seat), I was NOT looking down the center of the steering wheel(as would be expected), but slightly toward the

tachometer. Subconsciously trying to crrect this obvious factory defect was causing my neck and back pain.

Attempting to sit facing the exact front of the jeep caused me to line up on the seat incorrecty, thereby allowing

me to easily bounce out of the seat when hitting even the smallest bump.

I am absolutely astonished a major defect could be relased from the factory in this fashion. It is so obvious(I

should have seen it, but bear in mind my initial "first new car" excitement) it is almost laughable.

I see three possibilites for this:
1. The floor pan has been incorrectly drilled and studded.
2. The subframe used to fasten the seat to the floor was incorrectly tooled from the subcontractor.
3. The seat itself was incorrectly tooled from the subcontractor.

I can not believe #1, so it must be #2 or #3.

The dealer acknowledged the problem, and actually went so far as to redrill the mounting holes in the bottom of the

suubframe. How laughable! Could you imagine my dismay when I heard that? And it was done without my knowledge or

ok! All this for $25000+!

Has anyone else had this problem? You can easily verify if you do by just looking at your front drivers seat on a

Sahara(Sport and SE may have the same problem). The stitched centerline on the seat will visibly veer to the

drivers side view mirror(not to mention the feeling while sitting it it). Like the passenger seat will do the

same(albeit not as much).

If no one else has this problem(and I would qualify even mild cases of the seat yawing as having the problem) than

perhaps the problem is not pandemic and can be resolved by a new subframe(or seat). If more people than me have the

problem then Jeep must address this issue as it is one not only of aesthetics but safety as well. Having a dealer

redrill the seat subframe is unnacceptable on a new car. My question to the dealer when I heard he did that was

"Are you personally going to now crash test this car since you changed the stress points and g-force limit on these

front seats?". The answer?

Stony silence.

for that much money, you would expect a little better workmanship. but on the other hand, im sure glad that i didnt sell it to you!!

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by willys:
for that much money, you would expect a little better workmanship. but on the other hand, im sure glad that i didnt sell it to you!!</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an 89 YJ while this may not aply to you I managed to get leather cherokee seats for 50$ a piece and install them myself for nothing using home fabricated plates on the other hand if your Jeep is brand new than it sucks to be you right now...

I just purchased a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I have the same problem. BOTH front seats appear to be faceing toward the outward. I thought it was just me and I was seeing things!!!
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2[/IMG]Originally posted by ffarrell:
I recently bought a loaded 2001 Sahara and I put about 3500 miles on it. After the initial excitement of the

purchase wore off I noticed that my back and neck hurt everytime I drove it. Whenever I hit a bump I would bounce

out of the seat(and not a off road bump, either). Closer inspection revealed that both front seats were skewed

outward. In other words, when I sat in the seat comfortably(snugly with my back aligned with the centerline of the

seat), I was NOT looking down the center of the steering wheel(as would be expected), but slightly toward the

tachometer. Subconsciously trying to crrect this obvious factory defect was causing my neck and back pain.

Attempting to sit facing the exact front of the jeep caused me to line up on the seat incorrecty, thereby allowing

me to easily bounce out of the seat when hitting even the smallest bump.

I am absolutely astonished a major defect could be relased from the factory in this fashion. It is so obvious(I

should have seen it, but bear in mind my initial "first new car" excitement) it is almost laughable.

I see three possibilites for this:
1. The floor pan has been incorrectly drilled and studded.
2. The subframe used to fasten the seat to the floor was incorrectly tooled from the subcontractor.
3. The seat itself was incorrectly tooled from the subcontractor.

I can not believe #1, so it must be #2 or #3.

The dealer acknowledged the problem, and actually went so far as to redrill the mounting holes in the bottom of the

suubframe. How laughable! Could you imagine my dismay when I heard that? And it was done without my knowledge or

ok! All this for $25000+!

Has anyone else had this problem? You can easily verify if you do by just looking at your front drivers seat on a

Sahara(Sport and SE may have the same problem). The stitched centerline on the seat will visibly veer to the

drivers side view mirror(not to mention the feeling while sitting it it). Like the passenger seat will do the

same(albeit not as much).

If no one else has this problem(and I would qualify even mild cases of the seat yawing as having the problem) than

perhaps the problem is not pandemic and can be resolved by a new subframe(or seat). If more people than me have the

problem then Jeep must address this issue as it is one not only of aesthetics but safety as well. Having a dealer

redrill the seat subframe is unnacceptable on a new car. My question to the dealer when I heard he did that was

"Are you personally going to now crash test this car since you changed the stress points and g-force limit on these

front seats?". The answer?

Stony silence.

</font></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

yes sir, they just dont build em like they used to! hell im thinking get a good chiropractor and a lawyer,[theres no such thing as a good one] and sue the hell out of chrysler......bring it on back

I purchases on '01 TJ a couple of months back and noticed the same thing about a month after I bought it. I haven't had the time or inclination to take it to the dealership yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to after hearing what they did to "repair" yours. A few weeks ago I was at the dealership for an unrelated reason and I looked in several of the TJ's on the lot. Guess what...they were all that way. It sounds to me like a design and production flaw, not an individual mistake.

A true Jeep is not bought but built!! My seats are just fine
image-missing.png

------------------

Life is a journey, take it.

Back