Eating up Universal joints.

nica89yj

Today i went to my first 4x4 challenge here in Nicaragua. It was a Huge deal we had T.V. cameras, and alot of people show up to see the modified supercross track. We ran a practice lap of what the real race would be, and I thought I was one going to be the only Yj modified Wrangler owner, to my surprise i was one of the many. When I encountered the first obstacle, which was a real steep hill with a very sharp drop i got a little exited and snapped my FREAKING U JOINT, this is not the first time it happens ive been eating U joints like crazy. Iam running 33x12.50 tsl on the stock drive train, is there a special Ujoint that u guys recomend? one thats stronger. Iam somewhat of a beginer and I dunno If iam getting a little to exited and pushing to hard, I really dont know, see what u guys think...I have a 4 inch rustys lift.

on the dana 30 you may try and find some shafts out of a tj that have the larger 297x u joint and do the one piece axle conversion. the yjs have a 260x u joint (except 95 which had the 297). The 297 can then in turn be replaced with the 760 (same exact dimension, but stronger) but then you'll start taking out shafts. they should however last longer with the 297 style shafts and joints

I see ur point, Damn the D30/D35. I think Iam one of those people that could not live with the D35. I gonna look into the axle upgrade project, u gotta love these money pits.

or a CTM joint if you really want to throw some money at it. Might as well get cromo axles too if you go that route. It would however, be cheaper to swap in a heavier axle.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Are you breaking axle ujoints or driveshaft ujoints?

x2.......x2

If your blowing out front axle joints then you got more problems or are driving real hard. If it's the rear driveline then your pinion angle is wrong. Do you have the sye kit on the 231 yet?

Iam breaking the rear driveshaft joint, and the joint that always breaks is the one that attaches the D35 with the driveshaft. I do not have a SYE kit on the jeep, Instead Iam running 6 degree shims and a transfer case drop. The driveshaft seems to be in a comfortable angle but i might be wrong. The axle that I like the most after doing some reading is the ford 8.8, It seems to be the easiest to swap and also cheaper.

You also could try getting rid of those straps on the d35 yoke and replacing it with u-bolt clamps. My d44 uses the same u-joint at the yoke as the d35. I havent blown one since i did the sye and my d44 yoke uses bolts and not straps.

I suspected it was your rear driveshaft. Once you blow out one ujoint, the yoke becomes wallowed out. Best to buy a new yoke and you shouldn't have any trouble.

It appears that driving with a little more finese solved my problem, Went out and wheeled the heck out of my YJ and had no problems with the Joints. Once again thanks for your help guys.

Back