4.0 Exhaust manifold

TwistedCU

Anybody had any luck welding the notorious crack? One of the tubes where the two become one is cracked all the way around. I'm figuring I'll just replace it, but I'm a cheapskate and am always looking to save a buck. Is it worth the effort to try to weld it?

Also, some of the "high performance" headers say Auto trans linkage must be modified to accomodate them, anybody want to eloborate???

I welded mine and it held up for about 6 months till it cracked around a weld. I ended up getting one of the those cheap after market ones with the flex tubes on ebay for less than 80$ shipped . It has been on for over 2 years with no problems. I say if you have to go through all the trouble of pulling it off to weld it , I would just go ahead and get a new one.

Nate

jeepguy46176 said:
I welded mine and it held up for about 6 months till it cracked around a weld. I ended up getting one of the those cheap after market ones with the flex tubes on ebay for less than 80$ shipped . It has been on for over 2 years with no problems. I say if you have to go through all the trouble of pulling it off to weld it , I would just go ahead and get a new one.

Nate

.........X2.......................

I welded the one on my 93 Grand, way back when. It lasted til I sold it a few years later. Honestly, I think brazing it up may work better as less heat is applied. Considering the age of yours, I think I would probably just replace it altogether. The metal is probably getting pretty thin.

i had mine welded by a certified welder... he was real good about it... used a little dentist-mirror and made sure to get the whole thing. had to take the airbox out but he worked around the rest.

first he MIG'd it, then he went over it with a TIG... its been about 10k miles and its still holding up just fine.

It can be welded, trick is to anneal the metal when you're done, and let it cool gradually. There's a lot of welding shops that do boat manifolds, so they have experience and can do it right for cheap.

I am pretty sure this is the same guy.

This is the item # on ebay

Nate

dingus said:
i had mine welded by a certified welder... he was real good about it... used a little dentist-mirror and made sure to get the whole thing. had to take the airbox out but he worked around the rest.

first he MIG'd it, then he went over it with a TIG... its been about 10k miles and its still holding up just fine.
In the Jeep? Interesting. I pulled mine off.

Yeah mine is cracked all the way around. The more I think about it, it is going to be best to just replace it. I checked out that ebay auction, not very pretty looking welding on that thing... I guess for the money it's worth a shot. I'll do a little shopping around first but I may try it.

TwistedCopper said:
Yeah mine is cracked all the way around. The more I think about it, it is going to be best to just replace it. I checked out that ebay auction, not very pretty looking welding on that thing... I guess for the money it's worth a shot. I'll do a little shopping around first but I may try it.

TC, there is a vendor on Ebay that sells a darn nice SS manifold for under $150.
I bought one two years ago and it's still going strong. That job is too much of a booger to risk taking it off and repairing it, just to risk it breaking again soon.

90Xjay said:
TC, there is a vendor on Ebay that sells a darn nice SS manifold for under $150.
I bought one two years ago and it's still going strong. That job is too much of a booger to risk taking it off and repairing it, just to risk it breaking again soon.
That is why I am shying away from welding it. So, who's your eBay vendor???

TwistedCopper said:
Hey Nate (Dingus), where'd you have yours done? I think you are relatively close to me, right?

I had my GF's uncle do it, he's in Buckingham, PA (near doylestown... hour north of philly up 611).

TwistedCopper said:
Well I just ordered one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8072099753&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT
It seemed to be a good medium between price, feedback rating, location, and quality (juding from the welds on the pics of the auctions I've looked at). A lifetime warranty sounds good too, depending on how long the guy stays in business ;)

Thats not to bad specially since your getting the gasket to. You should be happy with that one, looks like the one i got few yrs ago and its holding up fine.

Been a long time since I looked one over, Is there really only two bolt holes? The rest must be sandwiched by the intake.

Back