Door splitting? Square lights inferior?

Joopin

Super Moderator

I have had my jeep for about 2 weeks now and I noticed that there is a split on the drivers side door next to the window above the door handle. Its not a big problem, but I was wondering if this was common, and what I can do to fix it rather than buying a new full door...

And what's this I hear about square lights (YJs i guess) being looked down upon? On another site I noticed a couple people puttin us square lights down... I know most of it is personal preferance just like anything else but is there that much different besides some engine changes? I was just curious what other people think... I'm perfectly happy with my 91 "squarelight" but it is also the first and only jeep I have had. Thanks.[addsig]

it is very common knowledege that all jeeps with headlights other than round ones are much inferior to round lighted jeeps......no it was a JOKE!! the baddest-ass jeep i have ever seen was a YJ there is nothing wrong with YJs they are great like any other jeep!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
still leaf sprung and fuel injected, at least the later ones are....YJs are great
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
and are much more confortable than CJs.....have fun jeepin
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

what kind of split is it ? does it leak and fill your door with water? if so put a hole in the bottom of the door or it will rust, if not does it look cool ?(battle scar?)
image-missing.png
If you can live with it don't worry about it- it its a jeep. thats all that matters. As for the square/ round thing that up to you, I like round, my brother likes square, who cares as long as you wave to the rest of us. [addsig]

the split is normal it's on all of the yj's. no problem
image-missing.png
[addsig]

if it want for our round head lights your square headlighted jeeps wouldnt even be here.... so take that....... i can see a big argument brewing.....[addsig]

I love my YJ Jeep, Round, square what ever as long as the top drops and the doors can stay home. Tug!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Round or square does it really matter??? So long as it bares the name "JEEP", as for the crack I don't know I wheel in a 78 cj5. [addsig]

Door cracking?? Same problem on my TJ...very small crack now, but it's noticeable (just cosmetic). So far, I haven't made an attempt to fix it.[addsig]

every subsequent model Jeep was made possible by the previous...evolution is beautiful.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 1989 YJ Wrangler formerly equipped with matching door cracks, just under the wind wing lock. There is a "Band-aid" way of stopping the continuation of the crack. Take a very small drill but and drill a hole at the end of the crack. This will keep the crack from traveling. I went a step further, I used a die grinder and slightly ground out the crack, used a wide putty knife to pry and hold the rubber out of the way, and Mig welded the crack (Make sure to do this with the window rolled up, or you will destroy the glass) Then I lightly sanded the weld and used touch up paint to spray the color. If you didn't know it was ever there, you can't see it now. (Remember, it's a JEEP) This repair took about 30 minutes for both doors and so far in four years it hasn't come back. Another way is to take it to the body shop and pay the $300.00 estimated bill.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Round or Square headlights?

When I Rock, I look forward and only see one thing.

JEEP!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I love my square's! They put out light so they do their job. I love my Jeep so it's doing it's job. One guy gave me grief about my YJ (also known as the Yuppie Jeep) I just smiled and noticed he was driving a TJ (which they love to call the Tough Jeep). I asked, "Hey, is that a TJ?" He said yes, the Tough Jeep. I smiled and replied, "The Tough Jeep? The one that comes with leather seats and an airbag? How tough is that?" He got mocked by everyone else that was there. To me, WHO CARES ABOUT THE LIGHTS! There's more to a Jeep than lights. As far as a crack in the door? I don't have one on my 95, but I have a split in the floor where the driver seat is bolted to the pan. [addsig]

my 94 has the same damn split in the door.....that's fine by me though since they don't stay on all the time. as far as the lights go, i like 'em both. i got square ones in the front and 5 round ones across the top.[addsig]

i think the animosity between the square and circle headlights is caused because the YJ's bring in all the women and the circles dont so theres a little jealousy there.
image-missing.png
just kiddin they're both great. everyone is partial to what they have and for me its

YJ love ~ master[addsig]

Back