lift help and such...

pilgrimninja17

I just inherited an old 89 yj, 2.5L that needs some work.

i don't have tons of cash but are willing to spend enough $ to do it right the 1st time...i was thinking about a 4" lift(skyjacker) with 33" tires but i'm not sure what else i have to beef up, such as regearing...ect.

also have to fix some rust spots...

Attachments

• jeep pics, need work.JPG
    jeep pics, need work.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 157
  • jeep pics, need work (1).JPG
    jeep pics, need work (1).JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 199

4 cylinder = 4.10 gears. Leave the gears alone and save up for a six cylinder.

You can roll 31's if your not in any kind of a hurry and are not overly fond of 5th gear. The 4 banger is my most favorite motor in a jeep for the type of wheeling I do around here. 4 wheel low the little 4banger is a monster and if your in the lead you can drive the six's and eight's crazy putting along so nice and slow. go any where they can and not have to rev so high to do so! But then that is just me. tug

Congrats! I ran 32's on a 4 cyl with 4.10 gears and loved it. 33's might be pushing it if you plan on driving it every day.

DOn't be discouraged by the 4 cyl doubters, and enjoy that new Jeep of yours!!!

thanks for all the comments but i, want to be able to have the ability to be able to have some clearance, thats why i intended on adding the extra space with the lift...should i just get spacers for now for the extra clearance and go with 31's?

Like you said in your first post. You want to do it right the first time. Take your time and upgrade it slowly. I ran a 3.5inch lift from Fabtech and 30inch tires for over a year. It may look a little funny but it did everything i took it down in Moab, Poison Spider, Gold Bar/Spike, etc. I made a list of what i want my Jeep to have and beable to do. Lift, tires, axels, lockers, etc, etc. And have slowly gone down it crossing them off as they get done. Anyways take your time is the best advice i can give.

so what i'm thinking now is 4" skyjacker, and my friend has a set of fairly new 31's he can sell real cheap, my tires right now are real tiny as you can see, so i can save more, and get the results that i hoped for in the future, and so i'll have the space when i need it?...

gotta throw in my usual "Hellcreek" plug (4" ONLY!!!) www.hellcreeksuspensions.com but even if youre running 31's get the 4" lift now (ran 32x11.5's on my old 91 w/4" lift and wasnt disappointed...) - the bigger tires can come later - i run 33's now w/little scuffing (read: negligable just at full twist or bottoming out...) in other words - dont skimp on the lift - you'll thank yourself later! just my $.02....

skyjacker costs more, and is a bigger name....youl get a good lift from alot of other companies and pay less. dont be fooled by the big name haha

COPPER IS RIGHT, I LOVE MY 4 BANGER. THE LOW RANGE DOES THE TRICK. YOU SHOULD BE CAREFUL ON HOW MUCH YOU PUSH THAT THING, I RERAD THAT OUR TRANSMISSIONS ARENT THAT TOUGH. BIGGER SHACKLES ARE WHAT I WILL BE GOING WITH. ABOUT 1 1/2 TO 2 IN OF LIFT AND THEN SOME 31s. NOTHING AMAZING BUT SLIGHTLY MORE CAPABLE.

damn names...i still want some hot clearance, thats why i wanted the 4" lift, but if it's not going to go well with my baby, then maybe 2 1/2 or 3?? and run 32's?

i dont know.... the stickers tom sent me from hellcreek are this cool bright yellow flame letters!!! (great hood stickers!) - seriously tho - h.c. uses rancho hardware w/his own springs - lifetime warranty (tom will even tell you what mods will void that warranty), good kit, great support and response - and good price dont envy you your decision.... took me a while to settle in on one....

Hell creeK is a good value, so is Rubicon Express' Standard Duty (2.5" or 4") kits, so is Rusty's offroad, so...

These are your better choices for the lower priced kits out there. Spending more money on Skyjacker, BDS, Rubicon Express' Extreme Duty, and the like do have their advantages like better flex and a smoother ride, but the ones listed above will get the job done, be reliable, have moderate flex and a reasonable ride. Hell Creek's warranty is attractive. BDS has a lifetime warranty too, but you'll pay more.

SO many to choose form...

Last edited:

which would be safer with my ole yj, 4" lift or something around 2" or 3"?..i'm sort of afraid of problems with rust.

pilgrimninja17 said:
which would be safer with my ole yj, 4" lift or something around 2" or 3"?..i'm sort of afraid of problems with rust.
I don't see what bearing an extra inch or two of lift would have on rust.

A 2.5" lift would clear 31's, keep a lower center of gravity, and it would ride a little better. A 4" lift will clear 33's.

If you don't go offroad and drive it every day. go with a 2.5 and 31's.

We run a 4in Pro Comp with 33" Pro Comp Mudders on the 93 YJ. Slight rubbing at full articulation. The stock 4 banger and gears (including transmission) do just fine for daily driving. Granted, the ride isn't nearly as smooth as my SOA on the CJ, but thats another story altogether.

what about half and half, like 3" lift with 32's?, because i want the ability to go off roading...i don't want to be iffy, wondering whether my baby will with stand the terrain.

Back